Think i'll never be ready!

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by kingpotuss, Apr 19, 2007.

1. kingpotuss

kingpotuss Bit Poster

Hi everyone,
    Since joining i've posted only once on this forum, and then went off to study for the MCDST, i've read the Sybex MCDST book about three times (done the sample exams and the chapter tests) and the the Microsoft recommended XP 70 271 book(twice), i have not booked to take the exam, because i still don't feel confident that i'll pass, would not like to repeat, the exam as i'm not working at the moment (every penny counts).

any suggestions, or pep talk would help?

Certifications: Bsc Business infor Syst & I.T, PGCE,ECDL
    WIP: MCDST, MCSE,MCT
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Have you considered purchasing a practice exam from one of the well-known, trusted providers? They're somewhat expensive... but they'll let you know where you stand.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Just go for it, mate. That's the only way. You'll learn a lot from doing the exam, even if you don't pass.

But if you've studied hard like you said, then there's no reason why you shouldn't ace it. So I say just go for it.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but when you walk out the test centre with a pass, you feel like you're walking on air. Pure euphoria. It's worth doing the exam just for that feeling alone.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Just go for it mate, you'll probably ace it like they've said above! :D

Have faith in yourself 8)

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I think that at this stage the best thing to do would be to get something like a transcender and do those exams to see how well you do and based on what you get you can go back into the books and read the topic you are weak on again. This is what I did, and the first time I too felt like I didnt know much about the cert I was studying for untill I took the exam and then realised I was wrong and passed the exam.

Also like mentioned above have some faith in your self, if you read the book a few times I am sure that you know some stuff if not most of it. Also keep posting here, if there is some you dont know we are all more then happy to help you.

We'll get you to pass!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

I'm just a newbie guy as well, but here's my opinion:

As far as I know, it would be cheaper to take the actual exam that to buy the transcender tests.

And if you pass, you are a winner, if not, you'll hopefully know where you need to brush up.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  7. GW

GW Byte Poster

I have to agree, the Transcender for 1 exam for the MCDST exams costs $140 while the Microsoft exam costs $125.

The first exam is always the hardest if you haven't taken Microsoft exams since you never know what it is going to be like, I would suggest that you just book the exam and go for it.

With the amount of study you put in, more than likely you will pass but if not you will know what areas you need to study more on since you will know what questions you are lost on.

But just go for it.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yes, but if you fail the exam, you'll have to pay another $125, and you still have the same study resources as you had before. Without the additional help, you may be paying yet ANOTHER $125 (or more) on top of that.

Also remember that many practice exam companies offer a no-pass guarantee, where if you buy the practice exam and fail the real exam, you can get a full refund (as long as you stay within the terms of the guarantee).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

My gut feeling, and i should point out i have not sat these exams, is to just go for it. As far as i am aware the exam is not too difficult and the purchase of something like the Transcender may not be necessary. Certainly if you decide to move upward after this, then i would recommend test prep material all the way.

For what it's worth i have never felt ready to sit an exam, well except for 70-216 and i failed that one.

Good luck,

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. kingpotuss

kingpotuss Bit Poster

:thumbleft :thumbleft :thumbleft :thumbleft :thumbleft A big thank you to all who posted in responce to my yelp for help, after reading the comments i felt inspired to go for it, will book the exam (70-271) this week and see what happens. Once again a big shout out?8)

Certifications: Bsc Business infor Syst & I.T, PGCE,ECDL
    WIP: MCDST, MCSE,MCT
  11. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

me neither until i sat the thing yesterday...go for it!!! sometimes the fear/adenaline gives you that bit extra to cross the line...

good luck...

Certifications: 271