The gaming machine is alive and kicking!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noelg24, Dec 1, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

You are correct about ATI vs NVidia under Linux, although ATI is making huge strides as of late. They finally got the latest version of their drivers to work for the Radeon XPress 200M in my laptop and they do make a difference. It's taken them almost 2 years to do it, but they finally did it. It's still a lousy graphics card, but my performance with glxgears went from about 300 fps to 1600 fps.

Also, ATI is now working with the open source community to come up with open source drivers for their cards. This will provide a huge boost for ATI under Linux when these start appearing. I can't wait this to happen. This is waaayyy cool.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
    Splinter Cell Double Agent
    Need For Speed Most Wanted
    Need For Speed Carbon
    Need For Speed Pro Street
    Transformers
    FIFA 08
    FIFA Manager 08
    Tomb Raider Anniversary
    The Matrix: Path Of Neo
    Hitman Blood Money

And that's not it. I have Halo 2, Tomb Raider Legend and lots of other games from the last 2-3yrs and have yet to install them to see how they run.

And does it matter how good I am on these games? Not really...I play purely for my own pleasure not to play against other people...which I use to do...but I have not got this gaming machine connected to the internet at all...Altho I do play them as well as I can...I am not longer one of those people who boasts to other people how much points I scored and that...its just a way for me to relieve stress and have some pleasure time to myself :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I just thought I'd weigh in on the AMD vs Intel thing too.

I've always bought AMD chipsets. I was told when I bought my first K6III system that it would be really unstable because AMD was crap. LOL. My K6III was great. It was Win9x that was unstable.

I do have an older PIII 1ghz IBM server though. To tell the truth it was never any more stable than my AMD systems even though it uses ECC ram. I had just as many BSOD's running Win2K on it as I did running Win2K on my AMD desktops built from bargain basement hardware.

I've stayed with AMD over the years since then too. Why? Because they provide an option in the marketplace and push Intel to provide better, and cheaper chips. The performance differences are so small between similarly priced chipsets that it's impossible to tell them apart in real life usage.

I don't game, which eliminates the need for having the latest and greatest, so I always buy technology that's at least a year or more old when I build a system. I just can't see paying that premium just to be an early adopter.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

You built that machine, to play games offline? Wow. Personally I cant stand playing games against the computer, too boring and it *feels* the same over and over again. Online everyone has there own way of doing things, and no game is ever the same. Roll on tonight for my Call Of Duty 4 session..

Still, everyone to their own I guess :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

I dont even have space on my desk for a crt anymore :biggrin

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  6. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

well obviously they all didn't blow up else they would have recalled them all but a large majority do. the PSU im using now is nearly 5 years old so you do get some good ones ;)

glad to hear you got 64-bit else you'd be shooting your self in the foot with that system :)

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640