Tell me about your "HOME" network

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Asterix, Aug 12, 2009.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You, me and Phoenix (Ryan) should get together and go bowling... :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Exercise??? don't let my wife hear you say that, she would jump at the chance to get me out from the keyboard ;)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've got a DSi and a PSP. :dry

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

auto-win. 8)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, NVQ3, ADITP.
    WIP: Server+ and a nice break?
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i have a 10 inch c*ck! What?! It's a lab, and i play with it in my bedroom!

6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

My "home" network consists of a "LAN" and a "WAN".

LAN:
    Myself & The girlfriend

WAN:
    Mum, Sister, Dad, Aunties and Uncles, even a few friends.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

My home network is a simple modem and wireless router setup with 2 desktop computers connected wirelessly to the router, one is a mac the other is windows 7 - also running WinXP VM.

Not quite knowledgable yet to set up a server/client network :oops:

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hey Shini, if you find yourself with 1 or 2 too many just let me know and I'll come over and pick them up.:twisted:
    No worries.

^^ what he said. I'm in the middle of planning mine now.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Actually my home network changed a lot since last time I posted on this thread...

I now have 1 ML115 G5 server running vSphere on it. The hosts are:

1 X Windows Server 2003 Standard with DC, DHCP, DNS
    1 X Windows Server 2009 Standard with WSUS 3.0
    1 X McAfee EPO 4.5 Server
    1 X Windows Server 2008 R2 File Server
    2 X Windows XP Professional SP3 Clients
    1 X Ubuntu 9 Linux machine
    1 X Windows SBS 2003 server hosting Exchange 2003

I am trying to get another ML115 G5 server, Virtual Center and a NAS box so I will be having more modifications in the future. The problem is, I got to wait till I move with my girlfriend in October before I can start getting more servers!

I have my personal computer for gaming and work with windows 7 ultimate setup.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. Ergath

Ergath Bit Poster

I'm afraid my setup is a bit fisher-price compared with some of the ninja networks above, and it's not really a lab because I'm not working towards a cert at the mo, but I've just got it how I want it (and if I told most of my friends about it they'd just look at me blankly) so here it is:

Wireless N router and separate Gigabit switch

Workstation/gaming Win 7 Premium, C2D E6600, 1000mb/s wired connection to switch
    Server WHS, Atom 220 2TB storage 1000mb/s wired connection to switch
    Media Win 7 Premium, C2D E5300 wireless N dongle
    Laptop Win 7 Premium, Core Duo 2080 wireless N dongle
    Netbook Win 7 Premium, Atom 270 onboard wireless G

Certifications: MCP 70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  11. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

Main Box - Core 2 Duo, 4 Gig Ram, 1 Terrabyte HD, Running Windows 7 - File Server
    Box In my room - IBM Core 2 Duo 2 gigs of Ram 360gig HD Dual Booted with Windows 7 and Ubuntu - Study Box
    Old Skool Compaq Armada Laptop broken screen I - Pentium 3, 256mb Ram 20Gb Hard Disk - Runs Debian
    Acer Laptop - Core 2 Duo Dual Booted with Windows 7 and Linux Mint
    Acer Netbook - Running Linux Mint
    And the most important part, My PS3 lol

That's my network

12. Queeg

Queeg Bit Poster

Two servers. One is a HP Proliant DL320 (rackmount....although it sits on the floor) and another is actually a dell dimension 5100 with some extra RAM and hard drive.

The HP is running Server 2003 Enterprise acting as a DC with exchange 2003 Enterprise installed. I did have it running ISA 2006 Enterprise acting as a router, but took that off as it caused too many problems.

Then the Dell is running 2003 Standard, not a DC but acting as a second DNS server. It's runnin System Essentials 2007 and Forefront Security Console, it does WSUS as well. Also running Backup Exec 12.5 backing up both servers and a continuous backup through the DLO to a NAS.

There are 4 machines joined to the domain. 3 Desktops. 2 of which are running Windows 7 Ultimate. Then the other is running XP Media Centre 2005. Then I have a Macbook Pro with bootcamp that is dual booting with Leopard and Vista Ultimate.

I have my old install of the Dell server on VMWare workstation running SBS 2003. Although that was just being used until I finished reinstalling the server.

All the PC's are hooked up to two netgear gigabit switches, all have wake on lan enabled and LogMeIn installed so I can just switch them on from anywhere. This is all NATed behind a boring netgear WNR2000. Internet is cable from Virgin Media (50mbit of course). Only one broadband line, but it's been pretty reliable this year so far.

The thing I'm proud about my network is running my own mailserver, direct SMTP email delivery to exchange, can't stand that send and receive business (using google as secondary preference for pop backup in case of downtime of course). Although what I want to do next is get a newer HP server and build a hardware RAID5, ideally with ILO as well.

Certifications: MCTS, MCDST, A+, Network+
  13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Might need to look at a spam filter soon mate...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Nothing so elaborate here I'm afraid:

Main Box - Q6600, 4Gb RAM, 800Gb-1Tb (can't be bothered to add it up!), 2x 17 inch TFTs, Vista Ultimate - possibly 8Gb soon.
    Server - knackered, with melted keys and mouse buttons Fujitsu P7120. 1Gb RAM, 60Gb, XP Pro - file and print server
    Dell D630 - Core 2 Duo, 4Gb RAM, 80Gb HDD, XP Pro - running VMWare for my studying, includes training vids as well.
    Couple of older laptops that the g/f uses.

All hooked up in a workgroup.

Told you it wasn't exciting! 8)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  15. Queeg

Queeg Bit Poster

GFI MailEsessentials. Puts it straight in the junk mail folder so no heaps of spam coming into the phone.

Certifications: MCTS, MCDST, A+, Network+
  16. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Well I'll tell you how my home lab will look like, i sold most of it when I moved house!

probably something like this..

[​IMG]

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0