System Policies - NT4 - IE Proxy Settings

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zebulebu, Jun 4, 2007.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Folks

Anyone know how to push out proxy Exceptions to non-AD clients on an NT4 domain?

A doddle in AD with the following GPO:

Code:
    User Config-Windows Settings-IE Maint-Connection-Proxy Settings
    But since we're (still) on NT I need to figure out how to build an .adm template in poledit to push these settings out via our NT domain

Got 2000 machines to push the settings out to and DON'T fancy making the change manually on all of them... :rolleyes:

Cheers and reps to anyone who can help!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. zcapr17

zcapr17 Nibble Poster

An alternative might be to use WPAD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Proxy_Autodiscovery_Protocol

You can configure WPAD using DHCP or DNS and just set the clients to automatically discover proxy settings. There's some example configurations here, including the configuration of proxy exceptions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_auto-config

An advantage of this method is that it should work for all browser versions.

If you want to use an adm then the registry key you need to control is: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ProxyOverride

You might find 'HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ProxyOverride' works as well.

z.

Certifications: MCSE:2K3 MCTS:Vista VCPv3 ITILv3 Sec+ L+
    WIP: MCITP Enterprise Admin 2008, CCA
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ah - but we don't use DHCP and the clients use WINS to resolve, not DNS so WPAD is out :(

Cheers for giving me the reg key though - I'll fanny about with that tomorrow and hopefully sort it

:biggrin

4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Questions:
    1. What kind of domain structure do you have now? NT4? 2000? 2003?
    2. Do you have some or all Windows NT Workstation 4.0 client operating system computers?
    3. Do you have some or all Windows 2000 Professional client operating system computers?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Hey Rich - how you doing?

We're running mixed NT & AD - NT 4 & 2K3. All clients still log on to the NT domain and 99.9% are running XP SP2.

There are about five NT workstations still running - all because they run a legacy app which won't run on any O/S beyond NT.

If it were possible to push out proxy exceptions via Group Policy I could configure a GPO and link it, as all the computers are in the AD domain - but Proxy Exceptions are a User only setting and can't be applied to Computers.