System Engineer or Network Engineer

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by 1Q2W3E, Dec 4, 2010.

1. 1Q2W3E

1Q2W3E Bit Poster

Hi everyone,

I have a degree in Multimedia that involves Programming (PHP, MySql, Apache), Networking and etc...

My question is, I am lost and do not know what particular field to choose and progress within that field, I have done some research on both field and my conclusion is to move into the Networking or System Engineer field because i do not have a great interest in Programming.

Another thing is, can anyone advice me if Networking Engineer is better or System Engineer(MCSE), or the differences and the work reliability that is involved.

if i choose Networking! i guess in order to broader my knowledge is to get
    the CCENT certificate, as a entry level right? and if i choose to become a MCSE, i have to start with compTIA
    A+, N+, MCDST and finally MCSE and of course with a couple of years of working within that sector, to become a MCSE.

Thank you so much

Certifications: Degree
    WIP: MCSA
  2. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

My first bit of advice is that if you are not currently working in IT get any kind of entry level job or experience you can. This is likely to be a level 1 help desk type role. I have friends in a number of different IT jobs from web design, to .net Q/A tester, Unix admin, systems admin and they all either started out on a help desk or fixing PC's in the local computer shop or have co-workers that did.

As far as CCENT being an entry level certification many on here say that it is NOT an entry level certification. I'm not sure I agree completely with this sentiment. However, that being said CCENT is not the place to start your certification journey. Even if you knew for sure you wanted to go that route I would still start with the A+ and definitely the Net+. As far as that goes- even if you decide to go the network engineer route the MCDST or another client exam will be helpful in getting your start.

Again, if you aren't working in IT now don't wait to get the certifications to try and find a job in IT or get some experience somehow (volunteering etc.) That's the same advice I would give someone with no degree and your degree gives you an edge on those guys.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I don't believe that Systems Engineer is better than Network Engineer or vise versa, it's two different fields. Ideally you should try out both and decide what is best for you.

Keep in mind that getting these certifications won't make you an engineer, you already need to be an engineer at some level before getting the MCSE and same goes for CISCO. At the end of the day, what ever it is you like, go for it. But these two fields are different. It's like you said, you did a degree which involved programming but you don't enjoy as much.

I myself don't really know what I want to do. I have my MCSA, I work as a systems\network administrator and still trying to find my calling.

Good luck bro, I am sure in the end you'll find something that suits you. Don't worry about certifications, just concentrate on getting the experience first. If you must get certifications than don't go any further than MCDST until you have experience. A+, N+, and MCDST are good starters, it's how I got started and it served me well.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA