Switching to Linux

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by zimbo, Jun 28, 2006.

?

Are you thinking of switching to Linux as your main OS? or Have you considered it?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    58.5%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    41.5%
  1. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

That's exactly me too Baba. Downloading Ubuntu Dapper right now!

This WGA nonsense has really riled me for some reason. I've been playing about with Ubuntu Live for a while on the Hoary release, going to setup a dual boot on Dapper very soon.

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

First of all, read this and second of all

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yeah me too - very suprised its 50-50 at the moment i was expecting 30-70 to windows!

thanks guys for voting - reall interesting facts here!:thumbleft

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Maybe freddy, but it was valid 10 years ago, it was valid 5 years ago and according to my recent experiences it was valid last week.

The simple fact is that windows works.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I agree with nugget...really freddy I dont know why u keep slating MS so much...its as if they have done something to you thats made u not want to use their software anymore..but I dont know...I mean I have been using windows for 10yrs now and I havent and will never think of switchin to another OS not in a million years...I mean I work for Apple and use their machines at work but that dont mean I will be moving to Mac OS X...everyone knows what I think of Apple..so I wont say anymore...but for me Windows works for me and I am very happy with despite all the crashes and other stuff that come with it.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Part of the reason I haven't yet switched over is that my XP installation is configured, customised and stabilised just how I want it. As I when I make the switch, I will be starting from scratch which is partly acconting for my reluctance.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Just how is it valid?

Is it a pursuasive argument to say a person with no mechanical skills who now owns a Chevy shouldn't buy a Honda because he won't be able to work on it himself?

I ask because the sum and substance of the argument you made says a person with no computer skills who now uses Windows shouldn't use Linux because they won't be able to work on it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  8. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

I currently have 7 boxes, not including lappies, and two of them have Linux.

I love gaming, particularly online with friends, using the latest hardware (well, I do wait a while for the super deals to surface :) ). XP is my choice -- its stable, and software development, both in games and hardware support, trounce any Linux distro hands down. Period.

I've built a few Linux media PC's, and although the challenge of getting all the hardware running, and the different layers of software running -- together, stable -- was both very gratifying and yet excruciating. Often times, a new package is released, and the dependency breaks another package. Fun, but not reliable (to be fair, I'm too much of a Linux idiot, which may have contributed to my woes :blink ). Since I wanted my PVR/MediaPC to have the latest hardware, I had but one choice -- MCE2005, when Newegg had them on sale. I haven't looked back yet -- IMHO, it's the best homespun solution out there. With the addition of a 360, it really is a no-brainer (think media connector). Also, and most importantly, Linux does *not* pass the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor), since the 10ft navigation of MCE2005 is easy and looks great.

My server is running CentOS 4.x, which is a OS version of RHEL. Nice stable base for a server of any type, and since I'm hosting my church's site, I decided against the $$$ of IIS. It's humming along quietly next to me. Perfect.

My studio PC is a 2000 box, but only because I'm too lazy to figure all the tools and stuff for a Linux version. Audio manipulation and mixing in Linux is just too much reading for me right now. If I don't crumble and buy a mini-mac (LOL), it will eventually become a Linux box too.

Other machines are running either trial software or some version of Linux, like the one that's an unconfigured m0n0wall box. However, it may turn into something else, because I've got a Linky router coming in just begging for a 3rd party firmware.

If I only had to use a machine for email and surfing -- it would be Linux, hands down. Unfortunately, and though I like MS, they have a stranglehold on the markets that interest me, and I get the best results from them. However, I'm not too fond of their licensing, and look forward to a day that my OS (for my needs) doesn't cost me $139, per machine (if M$ would just come out with a multi-license, reasonably-priced geek package :rolleyes: ). Regardless, it's my choice, and since my licenses are paid for, that's on my main machine for the foreseeable future.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

25 votes in and YES is ahead! This is shocking!!! :eek:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  10. hkymre

hkymre Nibble Poster

Had Ubuntu on my system, dual booting with XP.

Upgraded to the latest version 6.06 and it wouldn't boot at all
    - seems many others have had similar problems.

Shame really as apart from MS Money and some poker software most of the stuff I use on XP I had on Linux.

Might revisit it in a couple of months

Certifications: ECDL, ITIL Green Badge
    WIP: A+, Advanced ECDL
  11. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

What he said.

I use both and love both

12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I use both, linux because it's free and I don't have to install anti-spyware and Windows to do my A+ :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I still dual boot Kubuntu (6.06) with XP Pro and will continue to do so. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

My main PC runs MCE2005 too and my wife and I really love it. I can't see the possibility of any Linux distro replacing this PC.

However, I will always endeavour to run Linux on at least one of my boxes, though unfortunately at the moment my Mepis box is US, whilst I wait for a s/h hard drive and an ATX PSU to turn up out of the ether. I had to cannibalise them to transplant to a windows box :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)