suggestions on my new gaming pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eddie benton, Mar 1, 2008.

1. eddie benton

eddie benton Bit Poster

ah ok do you think
    Corsair Memory TWIN2X2048-8500C5D 2x1GB (the one you compared the 2x4GB dimm card to)
    would be better for the set up I'm going to buy At the moment?

or would 4GB be better as it could handle more

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

2 X 2GB is better than 4 x 1GB, get the corsair ones.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. eddie benton

eddie benton Bit Poster

does only DDR II SDRAM dimm cards fit my motherboard?

thanks allot for the help

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if its only the Asus maximus formula then its ddr2 if its the special edition its ddr3 but there is no need in ddr 3 a the moment because its too expensive and is that much faster than ddr2

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. eddie benton

eddie benton Bit Poster

whats the good video cards and motherboards that are made by ATI called? like the nvidia are Geforce
    ah never mind sorry just found out

Thanks allot for the help i think I'm done for now with the questions :)

thanks alot to every one that replied hope to see you around the forum

6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I find the mushkin memory is more stable on a regular daily use and for overclocking. You could have many different setups.

Also keep in mind that even though memory timings (latency) is pretty important factor to consider it is not everything, you have to consider stability and that is where mushkin leads I find.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. eddie benton

eddie benton Bit Poster

do you have a website where i can have a look at some mushkin dimm cards? i could not find any on dabs or ebuyer and there actual website is .com

would US hardware work on my computer? or is it the whole region only thing?

8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

when it comes to computer hardware...there is no such thing as "region only" as that only applies to DVDs. So you could easily buy RAM from the US and use it in your machine. I have bought RAM from the US before over ebay and have had no issues with them. if you think about it most of the computer parts are all made overseas anyway. Asus are based in Taiwan and have divisions almost all over the world but their main base is in Taiwan. So its not a case of "this is a US hardware and will not work in a UK machine" not at all.

Lots of people buy stuff from overseas purely cos its cheaper (no VAT and all that).

HTH :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  9. eddie benton

eddie benton Bit Poster

yea that helped alot thanks

here is a new list of what im going to buy ( a few things changed from the 1st list

Motherboard : Asustek S775 Intel X38 ATX Audio Lan

CPU: Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4GHz S775

Video card: Gainward GeForce 9600GT 512MB DDR3 PCIE HDMI DVI 650/1.8Ghz

Hard drive: Samsung 500GB S300 16MB 7200RPM

Case: Antec Nine Hundred/Ultimate Gamer Case no PSU

dimm or RAM: Corsair Memory 4GBKIT (2X2GB) 800MHZ NON ECC CL5

Power: Corsair Memory 650W TX SERIES ATX

Total cost :£700 Thanks allot for all your help

10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I see you still stuck with that corsair PSU...very pricey if u ask me...if u get the one I mentioned from Novatech its 700W plus its modular mate...I have noticed u r getting ur parts from Dabs...i reckon u could find those parts on say ebuyer for alot less...but i hope it all works out for u mate...:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

On the mushkin website they list number of stores where you can purchase their memory. Here is the link, look at the top where it says Europe and Africa.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA