Studying with two books

Discussion in 'A+' started by Jagunco, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Jagunco

Jagunco Bit Poster

Hi

Just wondered how people cope with studying from two books. I'm near the end of my Advent manual and have the Mike Myers book.

I was reading one one day and the other the next but I'm cramming the manual at the moment to get it finished so I can concentrate on the Myers book. I was reading each chapter twice inthe manual but then decided to read the whole lot once and recap when I finish but then when would I read the bloody Myers manual.

How does everyone else allot time to two books?

Certifications: You're having a laugh
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

When I was doing Network+ I had both the Mike Meyers book and the Groth book.

I read one after the other, rather than try and interleave them. While the exam objectives force a broad grouping of subjects there tends to be too much divergence of style from the authors to allow interleaving to work well I found.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Jagunco

Jagunco Bit Poster

That makes sense mate, helps to recap as well I would I imagin

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

When I study from two books, I tend to do the same... finish one, then move to the next. If there's one book that's more basic than the other, I'll read that first... then I'll tackle the more advanced one to refine my knowledge.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

What I usually do is I stick to one book and have another for backup. For example I would look up things in the second book if I dont understand something in the first book, etc.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am currently studying for the A+ I have 2 books PC Technician Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to CompTIA A+ Skills: A Real World Guide to CompTIA A+ Skills by James Pyles (Tripwire45)

and The A+ certification all in one exam guide 6th edition bu Mike Meyers.

I read Trips book first not for any special reason it just came first and I am 5 chapters away from finishing the Mike Meyers book then I am gonna go through the Mike Meyers book again and take notes from relevant parts, I will also do the same with Trips book.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Jagunco

Jagunco Bit Poster

Cool

This is great and makes sense... thanks lads. Its been over ten years since I've studied anything, and I was shite at it back then

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Kewl. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

I used two books for my A+ study also. I used the Mike Meyer's AIO for my main study, I also backed this up with google (loads of A+ related stuff on the web)

The Mike Meyers book is very in depth, after reading up on a topic I would then ask myself "so If I was a IT Tech, how would I do this in my working day" and.. Ta Daaa:D this is where the book PC Technician Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to CompTIA A+ Skills by James Pyles came in handy.

The two books compliment each other IMHO, the street smarts book can also be used as a lab manual for practicing jobs on your junk PC to gain more experience and hone the skills you will need to become a PC tech/IT support dude.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I'll momentarily hijack this thread just to say this. If any of you who've actually studied from the PC Technician Street Smarts book have found it useful, please go to Amazon and write a review to that effect. Believe it or not, those reviews mean a heck of a lot to the publishers and to some degree determine if they want to work with the author on future books.

Thanks. Now I return you to your regularly scheduled thread. :wink:

11. BosonMichael

I really need to take the time to do that, James... unfortunately, at the moment, the wife awaits.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Geez, Michael. The missus again? Can't you *ever* keep your priorities straight? :confused2 :D

13. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hey, the man knows exactly where his priorities are :) If the ominous sound of foot-tapping doesn't send shivers down your spine, the missus ain't doing it right!

As for the A+, I had the MMAIO and the Passport edition. I read the AIO through, and because I decided the style was so easy to deal with, I used the Passport book to recap on information and do note-taking.

The Exam Cram book also came in handy for preparing for the exam; try to randomise the questions though, otherwise you may fall in the trap of memorising things, which ain't healthy for your exams!

And good luck :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  14. BosonMichael

Actually, I'm trying to fix things from when I *didn't* keep my priorities straight. heehee! :hug

For the record, writing a book in addition to a "real job" isn't a good way to do that. :oops: