Studying and Job hunting

Discussion in 'A+' started by Tweet, May 25, 2010.

1. Tweet

Tweet New Member

Hi all,
    Im hoping some 1 could help me
    Maybe a few words of advice from members who know the score with the current IT market could possibly help.
    Im curently working towards Comptia A+ (self study) and thought it be wise to start applying for jobs.

Eg: helpdesk support role but were ever I look I restrict myself to apply as the job descriptions ALWAYS ask for experience which I do not have. I even thought maybe if i stated that I am working towards Comptia in a cover letter may open doors but im doubtful.
    So how am I supposed to find any job! if i lack experience. Any solutions. ????

frustrated jobseeker (Birmingham UK)

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

put in the cover letter that you are studying for the A+ also put it in your CV. But most important you need to start looking for the correct jobs. There are jobs out there called entry level, trainee and junior the first two usually don't require experience they will say something like 'must have an interest in computers' and 'studying or interested in studying towards a proffesional IT qualification'.

They are out there I saw 7 of them on jobserve yesterday.

Keep trying and trying. IT is very hard to get into these days and it could take you a long time but if you are determined you will get there in the end.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello.

So your question is how are you supposed to find a job without experience right? Well the answer is quite simple.

By being persistent.

In my opinion when a possible employer puts down a job vacancy add for a third line support technician he or she should well know that no experience is required for those roles, off course it will help, but these are the roles that will give you that experience.

Even for jobs that experience is more than desirable if the candidate has the right attitude and fits the person profile, there are quite allot employers out there that you'd take a leap of faith shall we say and take you onboard.

Keep on applying for entry level jobs and your time will come.

Hope it helps.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I'm sure you mean 1st line. :D

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  5. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Yes, sorry my bad...

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  6. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

well it is hard to find a job in IT these days (not talking about sql, servers admin etc, coz they are advanced and well paid IT), in my area there was only one advert about IT entry job , and I keep checking adverts every day since September on few job websites, that's why I won't stop on A+, will do N+ and something of MS, probably win 7 and then will start sending my cv to companies from my area, hoping that I will find something :-)
    A+ on its own in my opinion gives you nothing, and can help you only when you already work somewhere and want to go higher within company

good luck :-)

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Why would no experience be required for a third-line role? :blink

EDIT: That'll teach me to not read through the rest of the responses. hah! :D

Perhaps when there are no experienced candidates available. But experienced candidates ARE available. At least, they are if the unemployment situation hasn't changed since my drive in to work this morning...

Last edited: May 25, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The A+ can make a difference in an employer putting your CV either in the keep stack or the "round file". How much of a difference the A+ makes is certainly debatable.

In any case, it is a solid entry-level cert, and as such, can help you get entry-level jobs. If you already work somewhere, then you're getting experience... which is valued far more than certifications. That's not to say that certifications become worthless after you get experience... they still enhance your CV, which helps set you ahead of your competition.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I disagree, you need to be sending out the CV now, you need to be trawling the job sites daily (every few hours) because new jobs come on and get filled very quickly.

If you want to start as a 1st line Service Desk person then the A+ is the perfect starter for you, it gives you a general understanding of hardware and software and thats what you need. Moving onto the N+ and MCDST is what's required when you want to start following the 2nd line engineers, so you have an understanding of what Ping does, how the IP stack works and how to treat customers (triaging calls when they come in and knowing what is urgent and whats not).

As far as job hunting goes, you get out of it what you put into it. I know people who have sent out in excess of 100 cvs whilst replying to jobs, these weren't 1st\2nd line engineers either. You need to persist with agencies, if you see a job you like don't just send the cv, call them up as well, speak to the resourcer because that way when they look at the cv they remember the person, not the nth person to send in their cv.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

11. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

No. Good websites:

jobserve.com
    cwjobs.co.uk
    jobsite

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  12. Tweet

Tweet New Member

Hello everyone!

Thankyou for the feedback I really appreciate it. (thumbs up)

I guess for those in the same situation as me, lets not try to lose hope , give up.
    ''There is always light at the end of the tunnel''

13. Tweet

Tweet New Member

Hello everybody just me again.

Previously I stated I am studying for Comptia A+ looking for work but didnt state my reasons but I am now
    Reason being is because I failed my last year at university in 2009 studying for my (BSc Honors) Computer Networks and do not wish to go back as all the graduates who did pass are still stuck looking for work for over a year.

However, even though i ''failed'' I did manage to pass some modules During year 1 - 3 at uni such as
    Web design modules
    Network designs touching ccnp modules
    databas systems, oracle, weblogic modules
    cisco modules (with great difficulty) where till this day I still do not really understand these modules
    Now I am thinking should I even be studying for Comptia A or is there another route for my circumstances?

Im looking for professional advice. Hope someone could help because to be honest with you im feeling lost.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  14. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I think you need to have a better idea of what you want to do, the modules you have above are a very eclectic range of modules and not something that would generally fall into one specific scope of work.

Once you have a better idea of the kind of work you want to do you will have a better idea of what you need to do to go in that direction.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  15. Tweet

Tweet New Member

Hi SimonD
    Thanks for getting back to me. I agree with what you said. Ideally I would like to go into the Helpdesk or IT technician role.
    I guess the Compitia A+ is the right track.

16. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

what do you think by you don't want to finish your studies? you put a lot of effort in it, so finish it, otherwise you will be tweet ****, after you finish you have a diploma for life, and don't look at your mates, maybe you'll find a job in a day, who knows?
    anyway it is worth to do A+ in my opinion, and finish the studies as well - for yourself

17. Tweet

Tweet New Member

Mariusz I know it wise to finish my degree but I have to pay for it which i cannot afford atm. On the whole I found the whole degree very hard, and didnt really understand the final year.
    Also whats the point in studying for the degree when towards the end of it your not awarded professional certificates eg A+/network Microsoft to help you find work.
    I wish back in my days they had the IT apprentiships because things would have been much better.

So thats why I thought I start with Comptia A+.
    I have a BTEC Diploma in IT as backup so I guess that helps to.

Jobwise I know a lot of people out there who are graduates with 2:1 firsts E.G IT, Law, Art etc and have not found jobs so much chances will still be rare as im predicted lower. Unless I got real lucky! ha!!

In my opinion In todays day and age a degree means ''nothing'' you need experience you need upto date certificates to back you up due to the recession.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  18. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

up to you, but you can find a way to finance your last year, and finish what you started, will look better on your cv next to few certificates

concerning to experience - you are right, counts more than certificates/schools, but it is still worth to do it