1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Stuck with a distribution list

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rob1234, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster

We have a distribution list that contains all our users and other distribution lists basically it’s an ALL-Company one.

But whenever anyone else emails it they get a bounce back saying:

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

Then it lists a user account that is now disabled when I check this user account they have no mailbox associated to them in AD and they are not included in the distribution list.

So I am stumped as to why the distribution lists keeps trying to send the email to that user?

Certifications: A few.
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Have you done a 'rebuild' on the Offline address book (using Exchange System Manager), since the accounts were disabled?

Thanks
    John

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

two things:

Are you sure that someone else hasnt had that smtp added to their own email list.

Can you provide the actual NDR received?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster

Yes tried that the other day, it was still the same :(

I have found the disabled users email address as that was added to another user as an extra email address but i dont think that is the problem as we have the same set up for alot of users.

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

when you say everyone, have they downloaded the latest address book within Outlook?

Tools > Send/Receive > Download address book.

I had a similar issue recently which was a result of a user having an outdated GAL.

It's also worth noting that in Exchange 2K3 a disabled AD account will still accept mail.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
    Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. EZE Training Instr

EZE Training Instr Bit Poster

Is this Exchange 2007?

Certifications: MCT, MCITP, MCTS, VCI, VCP, CCNA, CCNP
  7. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster

Yes someone else now has there email address but I did not think that would casue a problem?

I thought when an account was disabled unless they had the "self" check box in Mailbox rights they would no longer recive emails?

Exchange 2003.

I have got the user to download the latest address list again and also the distrubution list seems to be linked to a user account of the same name, and the disabled user was under the send as permissions so I removed them from there to see if that makes a difference.

thanks for the help