Stuck in a rut and dont know where to go

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Wilo, May 10, 2011.

1. Wilo

Wilo Bit Poster

Hi guys,

Its been quite i while since i have used this forum, as ive been trying to progress my career and find the the role i want, so let me give you brief introduction on where i have been and where i am now.

I started off in IT in 2007 doing helpdesk for a couple of years. In this time i managed to obtain my Windows Xp mcp and A+. My role consisted of Reseting passwords, supporting MS office apps, troubleshooting network issues and printer connectivity, remote support etc....

My second role was more 1st/2nd line where i was given more rights which enabled me to create security groups in AD apply group policies, change mailbox rights on the server, create/amended users in AD install/uninstall software....basically i had a tiny bit more freedom on the domain.

My third role which is my current is more of a hands on role, where i deal with more hardware related issue's e.g. repair & re-image desktops/laptops, network patching in the server room, but its not purley an IT role. I am the only IT suppot person onsite and I find myself less motivated everyday as i have done more IT work in my previous jobs and gained far more experience and increased my skill set with the latest technologies. I feel like i am losing out on alot at my current role in terms of development and keeping upto date with the latest technologies because i dont use any of the tools i used in my previous roles.

I have always aspired to work in IT as i know 100% that this is what motivates me in life, but i constantly find myself landing jobs that are not fullfilling my "IT" requirements. I really want to work with servers and more on the infrastructure side of things but it seems like i am always not quite there in the "experience" department to ever get these roles or maybe im just unlucky. My plans for the next month or so is to complete my MCDST which might make me more marketable.

Anyways, what im looking for is a some advice from you guys on how you would deal with my situation if you were in the same shoes as im getting more and more frustrated and are suffering from lack of motivation?

Cheers guys!!!

Last edited: May 10, 2011
    Certifications: A+ MCP 70-270
    WIP: MCP 70-290
  2. 56mylar

56mylar Bit Poster

Do you have any other certifications, besides the A+?

3. Wilo

Wilo Bit Poster

Hey 56mylar, I currently have A+, 70-270 and was studying for the 70-290 but have decided to go for my MCDST if possible before the exam retires.

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I would go for the MCSA / MCITP:SA. You seem to have more experience than an entry level tech and perhaps studying more of the server technologies would benefit you more. From what I've read, ideally you want to be a sys/network admin and so you have to aim for certs that will help you get there... I don't think the MCDST will give much of an edge when it comes to server/infrastructure roles.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Sounds like you've got a solid foundation mate, you just need your lucky break into 3rd line, possibly a 3rd line desktop team. If you still work with Microsoft Technologies I'd get your MCDST, and possibly check out the MCITP: EDST 7 upgrade as Windows 7 deployment is going to take off in a big way for businesses soon

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. Wilo

Wilo Bit Poster

@Theprof. Thanks for the advice..... and yes! i would love to land the role of a sys/network admin, i do honestly feel that in some instances i maybe just going with the flow and accepting whatever is handed to me, and i always thought that at this point in my career (even though its still early) that i should be further on in terms of development.

@jk2447. Again.......sound advice. I think for the last year or so ive lacked any real kind of direction. I think with the the advice that both you chaps have given im gonna look at doing MCDST and upgrade to windows 7 and then MCSA / MCITP:SA. if i cant get the MCDST done i may just go for the later.

Guys i think you've given me that little bit of a push in terms of direction, but my only other concern is going for the sys/network admin roles. Would having the above certs harm my chances of get the said role without having experience? Do i start applying for the roles after i have the certs? or now? Maybe i could post my cv so you guys could take a look and tell me where i'm going wrong?

7. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Where's Boson Mike when you need him ha ha

Yes certs without experience can harm your chances certainly, only because you wont get a chance to use what you've learned and may get rusty or forget things altogether..... you'd certainly be alright with your MCITP EDST 7 tho. I'm not 100% sure how it all works in the external job market these days but apply for a few roles mate, they will tell you what you're missing if anything. Good luck, come on, lets see some motivation fella, I want to see you on here telling us about the great new role you've bagged!!!

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. adapt63

adapt63 Bit Poster

Hi
    ive been in IT fiften yrs and studied mcsa/ccna and such . i contract most of the time and find some roles are almost unbearable (eg real dull 1st line stuff sitting with a bunch of morons all day) , but I think you have to take the rough with smooth. I was a network manager for a couple of small companies and it was a nightmare! apart from running up and down the stairs all day doing the day to day support stuff i was doing all the back ups/exchange stuff/database stuff etc etc...all for £25k. to be honest you may well earn more than that and im sure there are people on here who do and will telly you will earn £35k and yr + but the reality is its a buyers market , there are a lot of good IT guys out there who will work for little to get experince. I personally work in 2nd line supprt now as part of a team. im doing £22 an hour and relatively happy in my role.

my point is dont think just being a network guy is the be and end all of It support. no job is all its cracked up to be. take each day as it comes and study when you can. as the chinese say "water always finds a level"

adios amigo

Certifications: A + MCDST MCSA CCNA MCP
    WIP: Exchange mcp
  9. Wilo

Wilo Bit Poster

Thats so true......The first two IT Helpdesk jobs i had really put me off, some of the guys i worked with had know clue how to deal with people. Moaning about the end users and other work colleagues. Some used to go as far as to say that they "HATE IT." and it puzzled me on why the hell they worked in the industry in the first place. I know its not all roses and laughter though. It used to make me laugh to be honest now that i think about it :lol:

I'm nowhere near on 25K a year adapt63. I wish i was. To be honest Ive always had the mentality that if i was in a job that i really enjoyed, i would outweigh the money side. 25k a year would do me fine right now though mate!

Update!!! I went for an interview today for an ICT User Support role. I had a 45 minute interview with a panel of three (HR Manager, IT Manager, Customer Service Manger) and a 45 minute test. I performed well in both. about an hour after the interview the IT Manager called me to say that i was unsuccessful. I was more or less interviewing them to find out what the role really entailed. I made it clear to them what i wanted i.e. desktop/server orientated work. She basically said that the role that i applied for would not be adequate enough to fulfill my needs, so that is why they didn't give me the job fearing that i may leave. I really admired they're honesty. The thing is, when i look at the desktop and server roles offered on job sites, the experience and skills required always puts me off as i don't have them, but i know the principles and theory and know that i am more that capable of picking them up in a heart beat. Im just not getting the exposure i need in the jobs i've had and currently work in.:(

10. Wilo

Wilo Bit Poster

Ha Ha!! Cheers bud!! Im always on the forum reading posts and its good to see you guys giving sound advice. Hopefully i will be able to do the same once i get going!!! :D

11. adapt63

adapt63 Bit Poster

Hi again..

the secret is to lie! well not neccesarily lie but pretend you would really like to work there even if you wouldnt. im a proffesional interviewee ( i do about 3 contracts a yr) its a bit like being an air hostess just smile and say the right things. i have a mortgage to pay and will cover most roles from basic support to network admin. (I even worked in blockbusters for a while the other year when the market went a bit pear shaped). if youre financially stable then thats not an issue but for me I need to keep the money rolling in. look at the job, look at your cv and if you feel you dont match then take some of the key phrases from the job description and and them to your CV. As a say its a buyers market out there and they can pick and chose so you have to stand out. ( i also worked in recruitment for a while but found the people i worked with more annoying than some of the IT oddballs i meet!)

have a nice day ;0)

Andy

Certifications: A + MCDST MCSA CCNA MCP
    WIP: Exchange mcp
  12. Wilo

Wilo Bit Poster

So your saying i have to tell white lies. Some times i feel like doing this because i feel it maybe the only way to get that next step up that i deserve. I think im gonna study for a server exam. Ive done the windows xp mcp so i think doing the MCDST may be a waste of time.