Stubble or clean shaven?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by exonje, May 20, 2015.

1. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Hey peeps,

Finally got a interview for a new job lined up and am wondering what your thoughts are on leaving a bit of stubble on your face? I look very young for my age and have kept a little bit of stubble for as long as I can remember, I feel very uncomfortable without a little hair on my face, I look about 10 years old! Anyways, if it is going to hinder my chances of getting hired I will obviously shave it off. What do you think? Do you think it gives the wrong impression leaving any facial hair?

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I spent the last couple of months with stubble on my face but actually when going for interviews will always go for a clean face.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. High School Tech

High School Tech New Member

I'd go clean shaven to the exam, but if you want to look a bit older (and more distinguished and more hip), grow a beard after you've landed the job. Beards rule!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCSA, MCSE 2003, CCENT ICND1
    WIP: CCENT ICND2
  4. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

That's what I thought you guys would say :foottap:

5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I have a short styled beard. I'd go to an interview with it because I feel it looks neat, as do my clothes. Clean shaved or beard, if your suit shirt tie and shoes don't look neat, you don't stand as much of a chance. As long as any facial hair is well groomed I think you're OK. If you're unfortunate enough to have it grow sporadically in bits with gaps, I'd wizz it off

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I would always go clean shaven, purely as in my eyes it shows that you have made all the effort you can for them to look tidy and present yourself well. That said, I went to an interview recently all clean shaven and done up, the interviewer had a massive beard and was in proper casual clothes, so don't think they cared that I had shaved etc.

Depends who sits on the other side of the table I suppose.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  7. NHKathy

NHKathy New Member

>>>>> If you're otherwise neat and tidy, if your clothes are reasonably good, if you're pleasant and polite, I say keep the hair!!!!

Certifications: CWTS, CompTIA Network+
    WIP: Linux Foundation Certified Sysadmin
  8. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

i shaved it off and feel like a naked mole rat! i hope it grows back soon :gun:

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

When you hit puberty you should be fine mate ;)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    exonje likes this.
  10. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

i went for my last interview for the job i'm in now with stubble, but styled and short stubble though.

I don't bother clean shaven as it grows back within a day of me shaving, waste of time.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud