Strange Mac/Server 2003 sharing problems

Discussion in 'Networks' started by BrizoH, Jul 24, 2008.

1. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

First - Macs are the work of the :twisted:

Now that I've got that off my chest I'm having some really weird issues with a Mac file share on a server 2003 DC.

The Mac client can mount the share and create files (which I can then access immediately from my XP machine). However if I create a file or folder from a Windows machine within the share, the Mac does not see them.

Even stranger, last night I added a second share which for the life of me the Mac could not mount - I went through all the steps I could find (disabling encryption etc) but no luck, it wasn't displayed in the list of shares. Without changing anything I came in this morning and the share was accessible :blink

Now I freely admit I know next to nothing about Mac's so I need to reach out - has anyone experienced anything like the first issue?

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  2. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

have you enabled windows sharing?

Are you using SMB? If so . .. .

SMB servers can take some time to broadcast availabilty for sharing. Patience is required here grasshopper . . . . . This could explain the whole "I came in in the morning and it was fine" thing

If you can access the windows share from the mac but files you create in windows are not accessible from the mac then it would look like a windows issue to me. have you installed file services for macintosh on the server 03 box? i guess so . . .. . . .so

Hmmm if security isnt too much of an issue you could try using AFP instead of SMB but uninstall file services for macintosh when you try this. Recreate the shares . . .. wait and see what happens.

Sorry to throw such discombobulated options at you but you dont specify any protocols or technologies other than "mac" and "server" (though it could just be me being a dumbass)

I hope this helps

If anyone else wants to chime in i am very much a novice with Mac so this may infact just be waffle to everyone else

If any of the terms used here dont ring a bell then try here

and if nothing suggested by me or anyone else here does it try here

I'm off tot he gym now
    Good luck

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at these when I get the chance and will let you know how it goes

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP