Starting MCDST Tomorrow, where to start?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by paulwatson5, Jan 23, 2011.

1. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Right, im starting the MCDST via self study tomorrow realising that i have 5 months left.

I have my spare PC setup with XP Pro and so far i have got the MS Press MCDST 70-271 book so i need to buy the 70-272, anyone selling by any chance???? Cheap as poss please as i have just lost my job and have 9 month old baby to support.

Where do i start? Is there any recommended route to take, which book to do first etc?

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!!

Thank you.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

well it depends which exam you want to do first. if you want to do the 70-271 exam then read that book if you want to do the 70-272 exam then read that book.

Do not skip any parts in the book even if you know parts really well, make sure you learn the windows key shortcuts and how to navigate around XP from doing shortcut commands to get somewhere like my computer for example.

There is a bit of overlap between the books but both books contain specific stuff related to the exam its on.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I have just completed the MCDST last week, dont make the same mistake i made. I used the sybex book and its split into 2 parts one for each exam. I studied the first part of the book then did the first exam, then i studied the 2nd part of the book and did the 2nd exam. I was lucky i passed the 2nd exam as there is still some crossover from the first exam and i had not brushed up on the first exam stuff. Be prepared for both exams would be my advice.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  4. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Thanks for that guys.
    I'm going to be using the MC Press books as i find they have great reviews on amazon etc and personal recommendation etc.

Would you think i should ready BOTH books before doing even the first exam? As apposed to just reading the 70-271.........

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  5. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

No need to. Nothing in the second exam comes up in the first.

The overlap topics on the second exam are like a subset of the first exam, as far as I can tell. They are covered in much less detail second time around.

Good luck with everything. Make sure you get the second edition of both books, otherwise you will be missing loads of important stuff out.

6. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I am working through the 271 just now. then start again taking notes and hopefully sitting the exan end of feb. Will do the 272 the exact same way but i would say is treat each of the 2 certs as they are, seperate exams.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Take a quick look at the thread pinned to the top of this forum. Lots of good info there for you. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Love your avatar, nugget. ****ty day in front of the books, and it made me laugh a lot!

Ade

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yeah go through the book that is geared towards the 70-271 and then do the same with the next book. Get some practice exams too and some other reading material. Never just use one source of study.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. cosway

cosway Nibble Poster

Hi paulwatson5

If you’re a parent you should be able to get a free course at your local collage/uni (full time or part time) I’ve seen HNC’s in end user support, computing, etc.. They usually take about 2 years to complete 1 or 2 evenings a week and it won’t affect your work (when you find new employment).

Now for the fun part – when you’re a student you can take the Microsoft exams at ½ price, and get a free 2nd chance if you don’t pass first time.

For the MCDST, try and also get hold of the CBT nuggets videos, and take the practice exams on the CD that comes with the MS press book.

If you’ve got experience with fixing PC issues, then you have to understand that your way may not be the Microsoft way – forget what you know, and try and get into the Microsoft Mentality, once you’re in the Microsoft mindset and get your head around the abbreviations then it’s not too bad.

PM Me if you’re still looking for the 70-272 book – I May still have mine.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA, A+
    WIP: MCSE
  11. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Do one thing at a time. Cover the 70-271 portions thoroughly. I realized that by doing 70-271 pretty well, it helps in 70-272 a lot. U can just flick threw some chapters while studying for 272 as they overlap quite a bit. But still, u need to be experienced in supporting applications.

As said ^ above, get a video training series CBTNuggets or trainsignal and drink them up, each and every drop.

DO some practice tests honestly and learn from the mistakes u made, and more importantly *WHY* u made them.
    Go through the questions given in the second part of the MS press books.

Book and sit for your exam when *YOU* feel comfortable. Avoid unnecessary pressure at all costs. And after you are done with the first exam, confidence will drive you through to 70-272.

Best of luck and Welcome to the Forums!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science