SQL starting books

Discussion in 'SQL Exams' started by Matt_26uk, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Matt_26uk

Matt_26uk Nibble Poster

Hi all
    Apologies in advance if this information is elsewhere but does anyone have advice on which books to read to start learn about SQL Server?

I’m an IT engineer and I have used SQL in the past but nothing in-depth. I will need to support a SQL server soon so need to start getting some learning in.

Many Thanks
    Matt

Certifications: MCSA 2003, CompTIA A+, N+
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Can't really help on the books side of things, but this site may be of use to you.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Matt_26uk

Matt_26uk Nibble Poster

Thanks 'Notes_Bloke' I will have a look at the site :)

I was looking at 'The Practical SQL Handbook' so if anyone has any reviews on this let me know.

Thanks

Certifications: MCSA 2003, CompTIA A+, N+
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  4. inquisitive

inquisitive Bit Poster

If you're pursuing a strictly DBA admin role.

http://www.amazon.com/SQL-Server-2008-Administration-Action/dp/193398872X/ref=pd_sim_b_2

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  5. JamesStill

JamesStill Bit Poster

What's your current knowledge like? Do you know much in the way of T-SQL - do you do a lot of queries?

Do you want to pursue the admin side of things, or development or BI solutions (there's three distinct routes). If you've good technical skills, the safest bet would probably be to start with the DBA MS Exam (70-432?) - I gather the MS Press training kit basically tells you everything you'd need to learn.

I'm not far into training on it all myself, so if you can give me a better idea what are you're interested in, I can suggest some books.

Regards
    James

Certifications: ISEB Foundation Cert in Software Testing
    WIP: More ISEB.....
  6. JamesStill

JamesStill Bit Poster

Ah - just saw how old this thread is..... lol

Certifications: ISEB Foundation Cert in Software Testing
    WIP: More ISEB.....
  7. inquisitive

inquisitive Bit Poster

What is a good introductory T-SQL book? Not a study guide type of book, but one to learn and grasp T-SQL? Thanks.