SQL Databases and Visual Studio

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by philbenson, Nov 21, 2005.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

There seems to be an interfacing problem between The Visual Studio 2003 IDE and SQL Server 2000.

If you create a data connection to an SQL database (e.g. servername.databasename.dbo) when you have MS SQL Server 2000 (I've got Personal Edition installed), you cannot create new stored procedures, or edit existing ones. If you right-click on Stored Procedures in Server Explorer, the only options you get are Refresh and Properties. In other worlds, the 'New Stored Procedure' option is missing. You can however run existing stored procedures which have been created outside the IDE (for example in Access)

However, if you install the MS Desktop Engine 2000, the problem is resolved. The option to create a new Stored Procedures returns to the context menu in Server Explorer and you can edit existing procedures.

When I go into the SQL Server Enterprise Manager, I can connect to the database and create new procedures quite happily. Anyone got any idea why I cannot create new procedures in the IDE with SQL Server 2000 (I haven't tried any other versions of SQL as yet)?

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Are you using the Express edition of Visual Studio 2003?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've got VS 2003 Enterprise and SQL standard 2000.
    I don't get that problem...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

I'm using .Net Studio 2003 Pro edition. Or at least that what it says on the start up screen. Is it a bug with my particular copy of VS I wonder, or what? Strange.

5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

There are a couple of limitations to the Personal Edition of SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition and one is the workload governer. It limits the number of concurrent connections made and includes some types of internal processes in that number. I'm wondering if there isn't something in the connection from VS that is triggering this limitation on the number of connections. The MSDE version has the connection limitation too, but it was specifically designed to be used by developers and the PE wasn't so there may be some differences in how this is implemented between the two.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

I tried re-installing SQL using the Developer version and experienced the same problem. Standard and Enterprise versions will not of course install on Windows XP.

However I now have Developer version installed and I can created Stored procedures quite happily using the Enterprise Manager. So one way or other, you eventually get there!