SQL 2008

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Node, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Node

Node Byte Poster

Hi,

At my new job we use SQL as our database and Im thinking of learning MS SQL 2008 but i'm not sure which I should learn, SQL DBA or SQL Developer? What are the difference between them is it major? And what exams do i need to sit as MS's site is not very clear.

Thanks

Certifications: MCSA, MCSE,
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

There are 3 tracks when it comes to MS SQL 2008:

1. MCITP: Database Administrator 2008
    2. MCITP: Database Developer 2008
    3. MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer 2008

Just like when it comes to support Operating systems:

1. MCITP: EST
    2. MCITP: SA
    3. MCITP: EA

Anyway each track deals with a different job function:

The MCITP: Database Administrator 2008 deals with perform database administrator tasks: installing, configuring, and maintaining the SQL DB.

The MCITP: Database Developer 2008 deals with writing application code against systems that run SQL Server 2008, writing T-SQL or Microsoft .NET CLR code that runs inside SQL Server 2008, or developing solutions in SQL Server 2008.

While the MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer 2008 deals with business intelligence technologies, including Reporting Services, Analysis Services, and Integration Services.

As for what exams you need, I believe that not all of them have been released (some of them are just coming out of beta testing). That's why is not that clear at the moment.

Also please be aware of the requirements of the MCITP for SQL 2008:

Hope this helps :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Kitkatninja

Just found more infomation* for you:

MCITP: Database Administrator 2008, exams needed: 70-432 & 70-450

MCITP: Database Developer 2008, exams needed: 70-433 & 70-451

MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer 2008, exams needed: 70-448 & 70-452

See here for more info. You can also register with MS about all the coming information about the 2008 track here.

Hope this helps :)

-Ken

*information can change as 1. not all exams have been released and 2. MS can change the program

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  4. Node

Node Byte Poster

Hi Ken,

thanks i think ill need DBA to be honest, all i'm doing is isntalling sql and looking after replication databases and basic SQl. Cant seem to find the exams for DBA though :S

5. Kitkatninja

I've given you the links for the required exam, please be aware of the release dates:

Exam 70-432: TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance is in development. It is expected to be released in August 2008.

This Microsoft Certified Professional (PRO) exam, Exam 70-450: PRO: Designing, Optimizing, and Maintaining a Database Administrative Solution Using Microsoft SQL Server 2008, is in development. It is expected to be released in November 2008.

-Ken

6. Node

Node Byte Poster

thanks! But are you sure its only two exams? As sql 2005 was three exams for the DBA!

7. Kitkatninja

No, I am not, like I said:

The infomation that I've given is based on info given by MS (see here). If you take a look at Microsoft's table, they only currently list 2 exams per MCITP route for SQL 2008.

-Ken

8. Crito

Crito Banned

In the real world you'll find that most DBAs are expected to be able to perform all those functions. It's only in the largests environment where duties get segregated a bit, and even then MS' "job roles" don't really match reality.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none