Spyware

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by law123, Apr 4, 2005.

1. law123

law123 Byte Poster

Just a simple question. Can abyone recomend a good spyware removal program? I have used Spybot Search and Destroy and also adawre. Is there any others worth a try as I am not 100% on either.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Well, at this point, you might want to buy one. Take a look at Spy Sweeper by Webroot:

http://www.webroot.com/products/spysweeper/?WRSID=8fa56a50781cbf955a628fdab834bcba

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I've been using the Microsoft Spyware removal app (get it HERE)

Not sure how long it's gonna be free and it is still in beta, but it works pretty well.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. ant2005uk

ant2005uk Byte Poster

I use both webroot and spybot they make an excellent combination and get rid of everything.

5. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I would agree with Webroot stuff. They make some really good software. I have their Window Washer program. I use the free anti-spyware stuff, Spybot, Ad-Aware and Microsoft. But my main one that I really do trust to clean it all out is Aluria Spyware Eliminator. Certainly got my moneys worth out of that program. Here is a little question though, the anti-spyware from Sun-belt, called CounterSpy is exactly the same program as Microsoft's Beta Anti-spyware. A different colour background, but the layout, the options are all the same....... Grab a trial and see for yourself.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

As I have mentioned before, eliminating spyware is the wrong battle to be fighting
    educating users to the point that they dont click stupid links, or download purple monkey add ons because they look cool is the lessen we must be teaching, using alternate browsers to IE etc etc
    installing spyware scanners is an intemediary step at best, and the general rule is to install more than one to get best results

Adaware,
    Microsoft Antispyware (which i believed they confirmed is to remain free)
    Spybot

these are the only ones I have ever had to use so they are all I can recommend
    I was looking at evaluating Webroots enterprise product for use at work

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I agree with what you say. I am a Firefox user, dropped Internet Explorer months ago. But like you say, educating people not to click and download every cool looking free thing they see is the best way. Prevention is better than cure. No single anti-spyware or anti-virus scanner will catch everything, so a mix from different manufactures is always better than just one.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  8. trislloyd

trislloyd Nibble Poster

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, MCP
    WIP: MCSE, specializing in Cisco