SpookText SMS weirdness...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JonnyMX, Feb 3, 2011.

1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi all.
    Has anyone else come across this?
    We've just started having weird SMS messages coming through on one of the mobiles.
    It's a smartphone but there is no data as part of the contract - it's phone and text only.
    I've tried Google and found nothing terribly helpful.

The messages claim to come from 'SpookText' - the first just said it was a test and not to reply, so we just deleted it. Several more have come through since that typically read:

'SppokText: Spook Node alarm-Langley Tempeature Sensors Stg 3Spook Node Langley Temperature Sensors cannot be polled 03/02/11 15:55:20'

The others are identical except refer to General Sensors and Power Sensors respectively.
    I'm assured that the user hasn't subscribed to any w**ky newsletters or anything and I am also assured that they aren't the administrator for the CIA.

I can't see the point of any of it...

P.S. I'm assuming that the user has subscribed to some w**ky newsletter or put their mobile number down somewhere without checking the t&c's until proven otherwise...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Not sure if it will work but some services can be stopped by replying with "STOP" as the txt

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Worth a try my friend...

Haven't seen you around much lately?

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Are you sure no one in your place works for the CIA and is doing some sort of mission impossible stuff?

Sounds like maybe someone has subscribed to something they shouldn't have.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I can neither confirm nor deny that the CIA is involved with these messages. :disguise

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. dwhyte85

dwhyte85 Nibble Poster

It's possible that the phone number was re-assigned, prior it may have belonged to a BMS/Facilities system and it hasn't been updated with a new mobile number yet?

Certifications: Bsc. Comp Sci, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, CCENT, MBCS
    WIP: ICND 2, CEH and converting MCSA to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Im still around mate, theres just no CF GTG threads to post on :biggrin

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hmm. Unlikely.
    The contract on this number has been going for years.

And even then, the odds of it having belonged to the maintenance guy for the CIA?

8)

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That's the most obvious explanation - the only odd thing being that these push text things usually serve a purpose, like inform you of a new product or offer, or get you to do something. This just seems to serve no purpose whatsoever.

That's why I've been reluctant to even reply with 'stop' in case it's just phishing for a live mobile account.

10. greenbrucelee

Yep it can happen suggest suspecting the guy on your team who is the most obvious person to be watching lots if pr0n on a daily basis.

11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Ahh...

But in this case it's a lady-thing who the phone belongs to.
    She's totally non-IT and has no geek tendancies, so I'm inclined to think that whatever happened was an accident...

8)

12. greenbrucelee

Some girls like Pr0n 8) they also like mystic meg chatlines too :twisted:

13. dwhyte85

dwhyte85 Nibble Poster

Why do you think it is the CIA?

Suggests it's monitoring something, maybe... a server room temperature, a reactor, a boiler room but is unable to contact the device it speaks to? :biggrin

Contract phone numbers are re-used after contracts end, if it's been in use for a while maybe it was a typo.

Sorry, if it makes you feel any better it could be the CIA... :oops:

Certifications: Bsc. Comp Sci, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, CCENT, MBCS
    WIP: ICND 2, CEH and converting MCSA to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, I'm pretty sure it isn't - but it's supposed to sound as if it is.
    Langley is where the CIA lives, combined with the subject of 'spook' which is typically the slang name for a spy. Mind you, I don't know if it is in the US. I'm also pretty sure that the CIA doesn't have their automated SMS sending out messages under the subject of 'SpookText', as that would imply a sense of humour. :biggrin

The other thing that's wrong with all of this is the implication that something or other is being polled and the activity is failing. Now, I know jack about moblie phones, but I'm pretty sure they don't 'poll' things by SMS automatically. Yes, you can send warnings out by SMS if you need to, but that would be a push from whatever device and not a request from a phone. Wouldn't it? I'm pretty sure you could send your server an SMS asking if it was feeling OK and get a reply if you had the right equipment. Maybe you could set something up on your phone to do it automatically, but you'd actually have to set that up yourself.

The other thing that's wrong is that there is no indication of what happens when the activity succeeds - you'd expect to have a load of texts telling you that the central heating at Langley is working fine.

She's probably just pre-ordered the new boxed set of Spooks DVDs from Amazon or something - but that still doesn't explain the weird subject nature of the texts...

I'm probably just reading too much into this.

On the other hand, if the CIA are reading this - and let's face it, they probably are - If your janitor is wondering why he didn't get any texts yesterday, we got them. Let me have your mobile number and I'll forward them on.