Spam

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Veteran's son, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Hello everyone:
    I have been getting alot of spam lately.
    I use Outlook Express as a mail client and everytime
    I get this kind of e-mail, I add their e-mail address
    to the blocked senders list.
    Are there any other options in Outlook which can be utilized
    to reduce the spam?
    A filter maybe?

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Edit: Moved to Security and Viruses (SG)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Just a suggestion, but have you tried using thunderbird?

It may be better at filtering out the spam than Outlook.

All of my Email accounts are Web based and I havent used Outlook for ages, so I cant really say much more.

Does your account have a Webmail element, i.e. if you wanted to could you access your mail from the web?

If so you may be able to setup a spam filter on the web so that it gets blocked before it downloads to your outlook account.

8)

3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Another option would be to use something like Mailwasher to preview your mail, delete it or bounce it back to the sender before it gets to your machine. Of course bouncing it may give you more problems that it solves. I normally just delete and mail that I don't want and than fire up Outlook to d/l the mail.

Just another option mate :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. Veteran's son

Thanks for your replies as they are appreciated! :)

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Of course, the other option is to set up a new mail account and be a bit more careful about who/where you give it out to, Mike. Might seem drastic, but it works, and I've done this a couple of times when I started with PCs, until I got a bit net-savvy. It's at least an option.

Cheers :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Veteran's son

Hi Jak! :D
    Actually, it is my main e-mail address that is getting spammed.
    I rarely give out that address on the internet. It was on only one site which had my main e-mail address.
    I was trying to locate information about my father's military service. My address
    is not even on that site anymore.

7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I fixed my spam problems by migrating all my email accounts, messages, and contacts to Linux. I'm using Evolution for my primary email accounts and SpamAssassin as my spam filter. Although my ISP has a spam filter it allows a lot of spam through and I got tired of it so I set SpamAssassin up to scan my email as it comes in--before it reaches my email clients--and it is catching about 99% of the spam and deleting it so that I never see it.

SpamAssassin is very configurable. You can tighten down the rules to where no spam gets through, but then it will sometimes catch something you don't want identified as spam too. However, that's pretty easily fixed though if the mail being misidentified as spam comes from a domain or two. All you need to do then is to put that domain in what's called a "whitelist" and that domain will be allowed through.

My aunt uses AOL for an ISP and SpamAssassin is set up to delete everything from AOL as its such a source of spam so it was deleting her email. I just added my aunt's email address to the whitelist and now her email comes through but the rest of the spam from AOL is still deleted.

There is a port of SpamAssassin that is available for Windows IIRC so having to run Linux isn't a necessity for using SpamAssassin.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1