Sorry, stuck again.

Discussion in 'A+' started by Peter, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Peter

Peter Byte Poster

Hi guy's

This is one of my questions in my mock exam, Please can you help me as I don't understand the question never mind the answer.:oops:

You use a windows 98 computer on a windows 2000 TCP/IP network. You use windows explorer to map a remot directory on the windows 2000 TCP/IP network to a network drive. You save a Microsoft word document to the network drive, and then shut down your computer. you restart your computer and attempt to open the file by using the Documents directory on the start menu, but the computer indicates that it cannot find the file. which of the following reasons is the most likely couse of the problem ?
    Please select the best choice.

(a) Your computer is configured with an incorect IPX/SPX address
    (b) You did not select the reconnect at logon option on the map network drive dialog box.
    (c) You have specified an incorect telephone number for dial-up networking.
    (d) The hard disk in your computer is fragmented.

Thanx. Peter.

Certifications: Elec & Eelc Eng A+
    WIP: CCNA-CCNP
  2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Out of the possible answer's, I'll say B

If your not ure of the answer staright away, then you should work your way through the possible answers, and discount them or count them as a possible until your final answer.

So, let's take A.
    'Your computer is configured with an incorect IPX/SPX address'

Well that has nothing to do with it, as we are on a TCP/IP network.
    We'll discount answer A.

Next, let's take a look at answer B.
    'You did not select the reconnect at logon option on the map network drive dialog box.'

Well that makes sense, as if we simply click the document expecting it to find the network destination,a nd we haven't specified it to connect to the drive automatically at logon, then that would cause the problem.
    But we'll have a look at the other answer's first.

Answer C.
    'You have specified an incorect telephone number for dial-up networking.'

We aren't using dial-up networking, according to the question.We are merely using a 'Windows 2000 TCP/IP network.'
    If we were using dial-up networking to access a remote drive, then this may be a possibility.However,a s there's no mention of dial-up networking in the question,w e'll discount this.

Answer D.
    'The hard disk in your computer is fragmented.'

Fragmentation occurs when your files become non-contiguous, making the hard disk work harder.
    This does not affect your connecting to a remote directory, as far as I'm aware.

Ok, so we end up with answer B

Ask away, just ask questions of us until you are satisfied.Don't walk away saying ah yes thanks, when you really haven't got it.
    OK:!:

3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I would've said B, of the available options. whilst a might have been an option, if you have already mapped the drive it points more to something you forgot to do setting it up. fragmentation wouldnt cause it, it would just increase the time it would take to pull the file. and it sounds like a LAN, so the number is a moot point (also, again, if youve already mapped the drive then the number would be right anyway)

Fergal

Answer B

EDIT: damn you flex, beating me to it! lol. glad to see you concur however! different reasoning, but still the same answer!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good explanations, Guys - deff B.

Merely to add to the reasons above, Peter- the question is clearly about network drives, so aim for that first. IPX/SPX is thrown in to confuse you about possible network protocols.

IPX/SPX is Novell's proprietery network protocol, and whilst supported by Windows 2000, is not the default. TCP/IP is the default network protocol in Windows 2000 (and beyond).

Dial-up networking and fragmentation are, as always in these questions, no more than vaguely plausible red herrings.

HTH as well :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Peter

Peter Byte Poster

:D Thank you:D

There are lots more where that came from.

6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

keep em coming, its good revision and study for me at least! lol.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Yeah and me too...and like everyone else B is the answer mate...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Can't add anything to what was said. B is the answer. I just want to be sure you know why it is the correct answer. Do the answers you've been provided with thus far make sense (I'm not trying to be insulting...but no one is born knowing this stuff)?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Thats not insulting, Trip ....

No point helping, if we dont know it helped ! I was wondering the same too, actually.

So go on, Peter - put us out our misery, did you learn from the above ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. Peter

Peter Byte Poster

Yes I find it a lot easier, when you have four answers you can't study them all, you will just get confused but once you know the answer you can then put answer to question and study more,& more & more until you know you have got it. and just to let you know I am not insulted, just greatfull.

Cheers,

Peter.:)