Some future career advice please

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by welshwaynejack, Jan 20, 2011.

1. welshwaynejack

welshwaynejack Bit Poster

Sorry to be a pain again and ask for your advice...Today while doing my part time retail sales assistant job I was asked by the manager what I was going to do once I completed my masters degree...I replied I wasn’t sure but had my heart set on getting into the IT industry. My manager replied that there was a chance I could get onto a role within the company doing supply chain process development analysis as I have been with the company for a good seven years and have a lot of potential which, the company would like to use. My question is should once I complete my masters consider this offer and gain experience within the supply chain of a big DIY retailer before looking to transfer into a system analysis job after a few years or should I attempt to get onto a graduate scheme? Or look for entry level IT jobs?

I know a little about the supply chain and how IT plays a pivotal role but would really need to self study to bring myself up to speed...Anyone on this form work alongside it or are apart of it? Any advice would be fully appreciated..Thank you for your time...

Certifications: Bsc Computer and Information Systems
    WIP: Msc Computer Forensics
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like a Business Analyst role for Logistics. Logistics is a good business to be in and if you can get into the BA side and programme development then yeah that would be far suited to your academic qualifications. IT plays a huge part in Logistics and after a 10 year gap I have now gone full circle and am back in Logistics. Seems like the only business in the country that does not rely on government contracts!

I worked at Christian Salvesen 10 years ago BEFORE I got into IT and now I'm back at a warehousing/transport company that relies heavily on a UNIX solution for the supply stuff!

To be honest, if it looks like you're heading towards the BA/Project Management stuff then grab it with both hands!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
    Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. welshwaynejack

welshwaynejack Bit Poster

Really appreciate the feedback thank you for taking the time to reply...The company is fairly large and is a part of a bigger chain of companies and would be a nice batism of fire so to speak...Since I've worked for them I have always been banging on about how IT could really improve them and hopefully increase their market presence...My only worry is I have no real experience in supply chain but have a good knowledge of the company (7 years) and am extremely enthusiastic and willing to grab the ball and run with it...While I have no real experience in the field my manager is very influential and I’ve been told could help push me towards the role which, the company has shortage of..However, I want to keep my options open and have until September to think about it...There’s no guarantee that I would get the job but my manager seems keen to retain my services and sees my IT degree knowledge as a good stead to add value to the company...For a first real job after graduation drum_dude would you think it would benefit me greatly to do say a two year stint within the role to learn the skills and experience and then try to transfer to a IT company looking at project management, business analysis or system analysis roles? Might need to get some self study books to learn some theory and hopefully can recommend some nice shiny new technology to aid them!

Certifications: Bsc Computer and Information Systems
    WIP: Msc Computer Forensics
  4. zet

zet Byte Poster

welshway, you will have alot of leverage on your side with regards to a job. You have been working for 7 years whilst undertaking your degree (something that looks good to employers) - you have a degree and a masters degree. What you need to ask yourself is, is this something I want to develop into a career? You don't have to take the first opportunity arises, you should thing long term as you are paving the way for a career and typically a graduates first job does exactly that.

Things to consider:

- The role (is it something you want to do)
    - The opportunity to progress (how far can you go?)
    - The money (how much are you worth and how much are they willing to pay you?)

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  5. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Yes!

But do not look for just an IT company after 2 years, ANY company who is paying will be fine! Friend of mine has a 1st Class Honours Degree in IT and started at a construction company on their helpdesk. Within 6 months he was a Business Analyst! He hung onto that for 18 months, got his PRINCE2 etc and is now a BA for some big @ss company that has an office in Mauritius (he's now based there). BTW, he was sh1t on the helpdesk LOL!

You can be an IT PM for any industry. Tech support and talking bollo about networks and servers is ok but talking bollo to those that do the tech support, servers and network seems to pay a lot more? :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...