Some basic doubts regarding exam 70-536

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by Sindhu, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Sindhu

Sindhu New Member

Hi all,

I am a newbie to this forum. A few days ago i thought of doing a certification which could help me to lift my confidence on the subject. I have 2+ years of experience in Dotnet. Now i want to clear some very basic doubts regarding MCTS certifications.

First of all, Please tell me is it required to pass 70-536 to become eligible to take other exams like 70-562?
    2. If yes is it possible for me to practice[without any drawback] for 70-536 with .Net Framework 3.5 and VS 2008? or should i have to change back to the old version i.e VS2005 and FW 2.0?
    3. Is it one attempt for a registration? or do we get one more chance to clear the same after an unsuccessful attempt without registering again?

Your response will be highly appreciated..

Thanks in advance

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

1. You can take the exams in any order; there are no prerequisites.
    2. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to this, since I am not a programmer nor have I taken this exam.
    3. You can take each exam as many times as you like (provided you wait the required waiting period between attempts). However, you will have to pay for the exam each time you take it.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

1. BM is correct you can take any exams in any order, there are however some orders which probably make more sense, and realistically you should take onboard what the reccomended pre-requisites are before embarking on any course of study and whether you feel you can bridge any gaps that might exist.

You will need multiple exams for some certification awards, so until you complete the set you will not get the award.

2. The same 70-536 exam was kept for the 2008 track, therefore you should be fine to use the same material, most changes were fairly minor to 2008, however there were a few version specific questions in my exam, not sure if this will catch you out a little or not.

I would reccomend maybe considering the new 2010 track as it looks easier and will not require you to take upgrade exams to be certified on the latest version.

3. Look at the MS rules on re-sitting exams, you can resit a number of times but there are certain limits.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  4. Sindhu

Sindhu New Member

Thank you BosonMichael.

@dmarsh, your suggestions made me think about my decision again. I will definitely consider taking 2010 exams. Thank you so much for the valuable answer.

I have one more doubt.. does 70-562 alone carry any weightage?..i mean do we get any other certificate that we can show with our profile?