Some Advice please

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by greatchap, Feb 2, 2006.

1. greatchap

greatchap Bit Poster

Hello Everyone,

I am interested in microsoft certification and the certification of my interest is MCAD.

I am a graduate (completed my masters degree in I.T) (UK) (2005) and I have worked for 1 -2 years as a developer (before doing masters). I major in Visual Basic 6 and SQL language. I have done bit of java, php and have knowledge of MS office and MS Windows.

Since there is a lot of demand of .NET in the industry i want to do MCAD.NET.

At the moment I am looking for work so I am busy till the evening and free there after. I want to self study for MCAD as joining training is horribly eXpensive.

There are 3 suggessions i wanted.

1. I think i have selected the right certification. What do u think??

2. How many hours do i need to put every day in order to do it effectively ? I do have knowledge of VB6 but no knowledge of .NET / VB.NET. Any advice as to how do i go about it.?

3. In the first course module i am confused as to which one should i pick -

(a) Exam 70–305*: Developing and Implementing Web Applications with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET and Microsoft Visual Studio .NET

OR

(b)Exam 70–306*: Developing and Implementing Windows-based Applications with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET and Microsoft Visual Studio .NET

Any advice??

Are the books refered in Microsoft site enough to do them or any other book is recommended.

[MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Developing Windows-Based Applications with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET and Microsoft Visual C# .NET. ]

I would be glad if you can help me out.

Thanks,
    JG

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Howdy! You've definately picked the right route by self studying.

Whilst I can't offer any help in terms of your questions (I'm not a developer), I can give your post a *BUMP*!

8)

3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

If you want to get into .NET development, MCAD is a great place to start.

You need to think about what sort of track interests you most and get the appropriate balance. You need to do XML (310) but the others you can pick. You could do both 305 and 306 along with 210 to get your MCAD, although I would pick one of them and then do SQL (229) just to balance your skills out.

I've found that most of the work I do at the moment is Web based (305). Although if you want to get into Windows dev then by all means go for 306.

How much study you do depends on a number of factors:
    1) How much you already know
    2) How easily you absorb information
    3) How quickly you want to get it all done.

Anything between 6-12 hors per week is a good start.
    I'm quite a fan of the MS press books, although I used PrepLogic too. They are good experience as it takes you ages to find the mistakes in their examples...

Good luck whatever you do. Sounds like you have the right sort of background.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. greatchap

greatchap Bit Poster

Thanks a lot ppl for your suggessions.

I think i will take exam 70-306 that is windows development using VB.NET & Visual Studio.NET

And i will try to put it as much effort as i can.

Thanks again.

5. Muir

Muir Bit Poster

I agree the MCAD is the best route for you. I've done both 305 & 306 and hope to do the xml one after I've done my MCDBA.

I think you'll find the transition from VB6 to .NET pretty smooth, theres quite a few changes but they are all straight forward and most of the features of VB6 are still supported.

Good luck

Certifications: Degree, HND, MCP (305, 306, 229)
    WIP: MCDBA
  6. greatchap

greatchap Bit Poster

Hi dudes...

Thanks a lot for your tips. I also discussed about choice between two popular modules with my father.

Exam 70–305*: Developing and Implementing Web Applications with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET and Microsoft Visual Studio .NET

OR

Exam 70–306*: Developing and Implementing Windows-based Applications with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET and Microsoft Visual Studio .NET

Though i was more keen in Exam 70-306 but my father adviced that i do the former one (Exam 70-305) because knowledge of web is essential and now in demand. Moreover since i have a sound knowledge of VB 6 i would learn less in exam 70-306 than what i would learn in exam 70-305.

So i guess i will do Exam 70-305 now.

What do you think ? Have i made right decision.

Thanks,
    Saurabh