Software installation

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by AJ, Mar 23, 2004.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Ok peeps here's the deal. To stop the little darling in the school messing around with the system files on the clients (W2K and XP) a group policy is in place which hides the C:\.

Now, if software is to be assigned to a user, the book says that the next time the user logs on the software will be installed. I think you may by now see where I'm going with this. If by group policy you hide the local drive how can software be installed?

Ok so I've now had a little think and appreciate that if the HDD was totally hidden the pc would not run at all as the system files could not be used. But if software is to be installed, is it installed under the users account and rights, or is the system account used.

Hope that makes sence.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

OK I'll ahve a go at this.

I'm not really sure but I'd ahve thoguht that hiding these files means that they are hidden from the user, but not the system.Therefore there shouldn't be a problem.

I knwo that on a local system there's administrative shares which are hidden with the $ sign.They can be accessed by programs which require them, but not by users browsing the network.

So I think the deal is that although your hiding files and shares from users, the system of course can still find them because it is the system itself.I mean you can't hide yourself from yourself :?

That's all probably wrong AJ.Just thought I'd have a go 8)

I'll learn something when the experts come along to sort us out I'm sure.
    :afro

---------------------------------------------
    You can publish or assign an installation to a user, but you can only assign an installation to a computer.This is ebcause a computer can't choose when it wants to install the application, it just installs it automatically at startup.
    It can't one day decide that it wants to install the application, that is what publishing it does, let's the user choose when they want to install it.

3. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I would agree with you on this one flex, assigning the software install would mean that it's assigned to the machine and not the user so it should work fine and install the software at reboot,

However that depends on wheather the GPO is assigned to a machine or to a user, I imagine that the s/ware will be rolled out to machines so you should have no problems.

....................Does that make sense ???????? :?: :oops:

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Interesting point raised here though, got me thinking.

I think software installs is sort of like task scheduler, whereby you specify who the task will run as.The task may require admin priviledges, but it can be run automatically under the user acocunt.The task will run in hidden mode.

However in software installs, we don't specify who the install will run as, I think it automatically runs, well just as installer based on policies, not based on the rights of the user account.

So although the user may not have the 'right' to access the files, the policy higher up will allow installer to run.

I'm going to try this on ym lab I think. :oops:

5. AJ

Under the users group policy we have hidden the C:\ drive from the pupils.

What I was wondering was if i assign to the user not the computer so that as the user moves around the school they will get their applications, how does the group policy allow the software to write to the local drive when it is already hidden.

6. Japes

Japes Bit Poster

:idea: When a prog is installed via the use of a GPO (I'm assuning your using this method by your description of the darlings moving around the school and the apps following them.... couldn't see them moving the PCs :)) the system installs the application not the user, can't remember the service in question but take my word for it, ( as a side issue.... we nailed down our desktops at my previous place of work and the lusers couldn't change anything.... they complained to start of with but the old tag line.... Corporate policy, shut them up :))

Yes the drive is hidden, similarly to a SHARE$ or C$ is hidden but if you map a drive to computername\c$ you gain direct access to the drive. :!:
    Soemthing I'm sure some of the darlings are well aware of so if you haven't already thought about it secureing the file system on the local machine will also need to be tackled.

7. AJ

Cheers Japes

I shall trying this on my test lab fairly soon. Just wanted to get my head around how it worked before I went ahead and had a go.

Ta v.much