So I got my new job!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Mecha, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Mecha

Mecha Bit Poster

Sorry I haven't been too up to date since joining this forum, but life has it's ways of breaking you down then building you back up!

Anyways! I completed university in August and I was looking for jobs like a little terrier and received lots of the typical agency phone calls "So what are you doing now? Do you Drive? What type of job are you looking for? What's your experience", a lot of questions they could have figured out by reading my frikking C.V!:rolleyes:

I didn't find a lot, I had NO interviews leading up to Christmas so I decided just to take a break and not bother going through the downer of job hunting over Christmas. A few days into the new year I decided to freshen up again, I re-did my C.V and got one interview with the NHS but was unsuccessful. The reason was REALLY stupid (they said I wasn't laid back enough, which is a joke if you really know me!) but it kept a sense of confidence in me because the said I was the best candidate in terms of experience/degree/knowledge, so from that I knew I had it in me to get a job.

So 2 weeks ago on Friday I sent of an application to a job that sounded really interesting. Later that Friday I checked my email account and they had replied to me straight away to come for an interview on the following Monday, result! The interview went well, I used help from here, youtube (The Apprentice interviews helped a lot), google etc and even though I faltered on one technical question I felt very confident. They emailed me a few days later to come back for a 2nd interview which I felt SOOO unprepared for, but I think it made me even more relaxed and a lot of the interviewers questions flowed from my mouth more smoothly than the 1st interview (3 panel interviews aren't that scary)

By the time I left London and got back into my home town they left me a voicemail to say I was successful and I start in 2 weeks and I was blimming ecstatic!!!:D Greatest phone call of my life!

But anyways, the main reason for this thread are two things! 1) It is a Junior IT Executive position which will be diving into aspects described on the public site as:

Even though I have my degree, studied my A+ and continuously dive into the world of building PC's, maintance, etc, I still feel slightly *scared* that aspects I will not be up to speed on. So I was wondering if there are any hints and tips anyone can give me. Are there any more books I can read (PC Techs Street Smarts, eg), forums I can frequent? Any more help outside the work place I can look into?

Secondly I want to thank everyone on the site. Even though I don't post here a lot, I read here TONNES...so thanks for the help :D. And I wish everyone here luck in their job hunt in these troubling times

Certifications: BSc Networking, A+ (601)
    WIP: MSc InfoSec, S+, CISMP, IA ISO27001
  2. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Congrats, it is wonderful to hear of success stories especially in the world's economy as of late.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Congrats:)

Don't be worried once you get going it'll all fall into place.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Yes, well done getting the job.
    Don't be scared of what you might not know- think of all the things you'll learn :)

5. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

All pretty 1st line stuff I guess? Your probs pick it all up str8 away.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  6. Mecha

Mecha Bit Poster

Thanks guys

But yeah I hope I can pick it up quickly. I guess I am just getting a little apprehensive since this is my first job in the industry so I am hoping things can go smoothly

Certifications: BSc Networking, A+ (601)
    WIP: MSc InfoSec, S+, CISMP, IA ISO27001
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Major congrats!

Don't stress out too much... there's not many things that can't be researched and the answer discovered online. :) You can do it!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Yep, google is your friend.

Short-term - you'll lean on it a lot, but then you'll realise you don't need it as much in the future.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA