SKILLSTRAIN.......BE WARNED!!!!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by hoss, Sep 22, 2006.

1. hoss

hoss Bit Poster

:x Due to personal and other reasons i phoned skillstrain to see about cancelling my N+ and CCNA courses having just complted my A+,was told that was not possible as i was on aloan with another compeny and they had paid them the money for all 3 courses and they wouldnt let my cancel.so be warned,
    1:dont sign up for more than 1 course at a time with skillstrain no matter how much they say you will save buy doing so.
    2:just dont belive a word the salesman says,he told me that they would fund the course as i couldnt get a loan and i would pay them back.
    3:read other threads on hear and realise im not the only one to fall into this situation
    This is not over yet as have spokern to soliciter freind and she is looking into the matter,so watch this space
    YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.:x

Sorry for poor spelling in places but cannt see the monitor or keyboard for smoke coming out of my ears.

MOD EDIT SG: Reword a comment

Certifications: c & g in refrigeration
    WIP: A+,N+,CCNN
  2. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Sorry to hear about that mate, what a pain in the 'arrables. Hope it all works out.

I nearly signed up for them buggers. Alarm bells started ringing for me when I received the info pack and there wasn't one mention of price plans, and then I got a few phone calls asking me when it was convenient for a rep to call round my house. Told them to stuff it, didn't want some stranger coming round my house wanting my money.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Are you cancelling within your ‘cooling off’ period? If so you shouldn’t have any problems getting your money back. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I doubt that you'd complete a course within the cooling off period as he said he'd already completed the A+ course.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Sparky

Unlikely to get any money back then unless there is something in the small print. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. BobT

BobT Nibble Poster

Yeah, in the small print it probably says something like "tough s**t pal".

Certifications: Bugger All
    WIP: A+ Network+ Server+ Security+MCDST
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

This seems to come up time and time again, but when you think about it, how many examples can you think of in life where you sign a contract for services etc that you can just walk away from because you change your mind?

Contract mobile phone? Sky TV? Car on hire purchase? Finance on a new carpet?

Many years ago I had a contract mobile with a popular company beginning with 'V'. I moved house and found that the town where I was now living had absolutely no signal.

So I phoned and said that if they weren't providing me with a service, why should I pay them? Their reply was that the small print said that they didn't guarantee coverage in all areas, but I was locked into the contract for a year and then had to give 3 months notice to cancel.

It made me angry (my phone sat in a drawer for a year) but I don't think it made them bandits.

I suppose though that you'd rather it didn't work both ways, just to be on the fair side. Fancy getting a letter one day from your training provider saying 'sorry, we can't be bothered to train you any more. I know you wanted to be an MCSE and have spent six months on this, but we just can't be arsed any more.'

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Thanks Jonny :thumbleft

What we're hearing here is the old story of buyer's remorse - generally to be found when an individual has either not conducted enough research into a product or service, or fallen for a sales pitch without asking the right questions in the first instance.

Whilst we may sympathise with certain aspects of the above, please do not use CertForums as a place to vent your anger at something that you could have found out a little more about in the first place.

Remember - caveat emptor

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. AvtarSDeusi

AvtarSDeusi Bit Poster

I am studying via SkillsTrain and havent had any problems with them to date...
    The cost of my course includes all exams, course materials and support if needed on areas of the course

I am impressed so far...

Anyone had any problems with support from tutors or exams?

Students :duel SkillsTrain

:bud
    :kngt
    :box

Certifications: None that mean much :p
    WIP: A+, N+, CCNA in that order
  10. Sparky

In fairness the original post doesn’t refer to *problem* with the Skillstrain course.

The student wants to cancel and expects a full refund. The reality of this is explained in the post by JonnyMX. 8)

11. AvtarSDeusi

AvtarSDeusi Bit Poster

as i said i have been impressed so far
    the course material has been of good quality
    each chapter covers everything in depth and isnt overly difficult to understand
    lots of reading though, makes my head hurt after a long day at work :blink

:thumbdwn :mad :cussing

12. Sparky

What certs are you studying for? 8)

13. AvtarSDeusi

AvtarSDeusi Bit Poster

I am studying A+, N+ and CCNA in that order :eek: :onthePC

14. Sparky

Probably the best time to assess your training is after you have passed a few certs or have completed the training, that’s generally why peeps hand over the £££ to training providers to get some certs.

Fair dues everything may look ok so far but Id wait to pass judgement until you have at least sat the A+ exam. :biggrin

15. AvtarSDeusi

AvtarSDeusi Bit Poster

fair comment...

what certs have u got if u dont mind me asking?

16. Sparky

MSc, A+, Network+, MCP 70-270, MCP 70-290

17. hoss

hoss Bit Poster

What i am saying is that it is not alwaysthe best thing to buy all your courses at once,and then find out that you cannt change later when there is a change in circumstances,after all none of us can see into the future.Also,although i know its my word against the reps phrehaps you should tape these calls as proof,then you might not get caught like i did.
    Still hind sight is a marvollous thing,must go now and bolt the stable door now the horse has left!

Certifications: c & g in refrigeration
    WIP: A+,N+,CCNN
  18. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Oh, I quite agree with you.

The best thing to do would be sign up for an A+, see how you get on with it, the material, the tutors etc - and if you were happy, go back for the N+ etc.

In theory, that would work out really well - you could study what you wanted to, and you'd be assured of good service, because your trainer would want you to come back for more.

Unfortunately, business doesn't work like that in many cases.

If you go to a retailer, they will try and give good service because they want you to come back.

But ever heard of a gym membership that you could renew on a monthly basis, or pay the discounted rate only when you turn up?

No.
    The gym makes profit from people who sign up for a year and never turn up.

Now, the people who join and go three times a week get excellent value. They achieve fitness, weight loss, friendship saunas etc etc whatever, for a great price. The gym might not make any money from these people as they constantly have to dettox the seats on the cycling machines.

But if you pay up, then don't use the facilities - who's laughing?

More importantly, who's fault is it?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  19. Sparky

Perhaps you should cut your losses mate or get on with studying. :biggrin

20. AvtarSDeusi

AvtarSDeusi Bit Poster

I agree with Sparky

The longer u spend complaining about skillstrain etc... the less time u spend on studying
    it may end up u only have urself to blame :blink