since were doing CVs

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by greenbrucelee, Feb 4, 2010.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Anyone help me to improve mine?

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. orangepeeleo

orangepeeleo Nibble Poster

Not much i can offer in the way of advice, but from what i've learned it is bad to use 'I' in your profile, something like:

A proactive Microsoft Certified professional with a conscientious approach to working objectives and a good ability to prioritise workloads. Commited to personal development and improving personal effectiveness in the workplace. Able to work as part of a team but has the self-initiative and motivation to work alone (cant think how to word the all hours part). Exceptional problem solving skills and by nature a very inquisitive person.

Rather than using all the I's that you had, sounds a lot better imo

I'd also lose the centered qualifications part and just left align everything, have a look at LukeP's post in my thread from yesterday for some good advice re: the structure

Just my 2c's worth to try and start the ball rolling for you, gl

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No mention of the other IT work you have been doing mate? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

I wouldn't go into such detailed description of hobbies/interests.
    With regards to general look and style I would revamp the CV. It doesn't look "trendy" if I may say it like that :D

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What they said, your personal profile is normally written in the third person.
    I'd also try to customize it a bit, as it sounds a little generic at the mo.

Again, as we've seen with most CVs here - and on mine, it's easier to tell other people what they're doing wrong than get it right yourself - the employment history focusses too much on the job role.

You need to try to add a bit of sparkle - what you do particularly well, anything special you've done, any initiatives you've undertaken, any money or workload you've saved.

Make it personal, or your CV will read exactly the same as everyone else in your department, let alone your job role.

We've all got something that we contribute, but often we're blind to it because we either think it's something we should be doing anyway, or we think it's like boasting.

sh*t, another helicopter!

I've found a good way is to talk to someone who knows what you're like in work (who you can trust). Often they come up with gems like 'you keep us all going when we're down'. It can be quite a revelation.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

This is my cv just to compare

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  7. greenbrucelee

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am not sure what to put since the pc building, upgrading etc was sort of off the record.

I always thought it was good to put in hobbies etc

I have changed the profile to a 3rd person perspective although I am not sure how to layout my current main job as it is extremely difficult to explain without going into major detail.

Thanks

8. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Hey GBL.

Are you serious with driving license expiry date? Take it off.

Also I don't think think it's structured well.
    I'm sure that by now you should be able to put achievements section in there. You've built enough systems to be able to put it on. Also nothing you can put from you new job?

Profile:

I would take Microsoft Certified out. You have it listed somewhere else no point showing it off in profile. Say that you're proactive, keen to learn and develop a successful career, dedicated, motivated, etc.
    Take out that you're not afraid to ask questions. At some workplaces you might be the only on-site support dealing with outsourced company and providing fixes for easier issues. You won't have anyone to answer your questions, you would be expected to get it sorted somehow. I've also noticed "I have learned", should be I have learnt. I would rewrite it to something more fancy and grammaticaly correct tbh, whole profile section.

Mine looks like this:

"I am very motivated, proactive person with a passion in technology who is fully committed to develop a successful career in IT sector. I can adapt to new surroundings and environments very quickly, and I am always willing to learn new skills that will help improve my career prospects. I take great pride in my work and work well as part of a team as well as an individual."

Achievement go after profile section.

Technical skills. I would change to "Skills" so you can add "flexible with ability to prioritize work", "analytical approach to complex issues", "ability to work efficiently under pressure". Apart from that more keyword magnet is needed. TCP/IP networking isn't good enough. How about "Strong understanding of TCP/IP protocol"? Unix command knowledge is bit tricky, I know a few commands too but I wouldn't risk putting it on a CV. "Sun Solaris" computers. They're Unix based, ain't they. "Administration of Windows Server 2003" instead of "Use of Windows Server 2003". "FTP usage" - really? Windows 3.11,95,98,ME is irrelevant imho. Macintoshes are called Apple Macs these days.

Qualification/certifications. Maybe, something like this would look better:
    "CompTIA A+ Certified Professional" ...
    "Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST)" ...
    and so on

Job History - change to "Work Experience". Shorten up descriptions. If they're interested what you were doing, that's what interview is for (as BosonMichael said in another thread somewhere).

Personal Interests - In my opinion the more you have the less commited to work you are. Also they don't really care, do they? If you get the job, it's because you capable of doing it, not because you're a nice person. For example "classical to heavy metal music" brings "goth" to my mind immediately for some reason regardless of classical music being totally opposite. Get rid of it. They ask such stuff on the interview. The priority is that you got the skills needed.

References - Take it off. You don't have a choice. Most offers of employment require you to provide references.

No offense meant and I was just writing what came to mind while reading through.
    Forgive lack of grammar and possible spelling mistakes.

Overall I think it's pretty bad.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  9. greenbrucelee

Points taken will revise and come back later on and see if it improved.

10. greenbrucelee

Any better?

Attached Files:

11. Sparky

To be honest mate you are not selling yourself on that CV. This is based on what advice I have seen you post on this forum, I think you have much more to offer from what your CV is presenting.

The opening statement still doesn’t work for me. Its not got enough IT in it to show what you can do. I would put the certifications back in tbh as you really need to push all the IT skills\certs here. If it helps I have mentioned in my personal statement that I am MCSE certified, this gets a tick from 99.9% HR people.

The skills part just looks like a list of randomness that doesn’t string together very well.

Example 1: Effective use of IT systems - What does that mean exactly?
    Example 2: Strong understanding of TCP\IP – to what level?

I would ditch the skills part entirely and put the qualifications\certs under your personal statement. If you revise the personal statement and then put qualifications then you set the tone of your CV to be geared towards an IT job.

For the “on the side” work you have been doing list that as contract work and detail what you have done. Nobody is bothered if its cash in hand or whatever but it is proper hands on IT work so you need to shout about it.

I can’t speak for the other guys but I’ve seen loads of CVs over that last few years at work for entry level IT jobs but I don’t think yours is up to scratch yet. Perhaps revise it again?

Hope this helps mate!

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  12. greenbrucelee

Cheers for that, I'll have another go.

13. Sparky

No probs mate, I almost edited my post there as I thought it might be too harsh but glad I didnt now. Post yer revised CV later on... :biggrin

14. greenbrucelee

how about this? I changed the profile and added that I have been building systems for people as a job.

Attached Files:

15. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

GBL you only secured your first IT Job in the past few days haven't you?? :blink
    Bit early to be thinking about tidying up your CV isn't it??

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  16. greenbrucelee

Not really well I don't think so anyway, never can tell if something better comes along.

17. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

So aren't you starting that job you mentioned in another thread?????
    you only started the thread on the 2nd of Feb I think it was.

18. greenbrucelee

I have been doing it since before christmas, about 3 months almost.

19. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I'm repping you for that GBL. Thats what I'm talking about, the killer instinct! I remember a while back you wrote of your employer dropping your wages so I'm delighted to hear you are moving on and doing well for yourself. I hope you don't mind me offering this advice but its important to be loyal to an employer, and not move around TOO much, but its also equally important to stay on your toes until a role comes along that you are truely happy doing, so you update that CV baby! ha ha

With regard to your CV, I always put interests at the bottom to show I'm not a robot. Spending time with my family, studying for my IT certifications and travel I think being my interests. I leave beautiful women off there obviously ha ha JOKE!

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  20. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

ahhhhh ok, I haven't been on here much, I need to catch up with the Certforum world :biggrin

I was hammering on with my Comptia A+ revision until Advent went bang now I feel very **** but I will hopefully get back on track once Barclays hopefully find a new (better training provider) sorry for getting off topic and I don't mean to beg for sympathy on your thread I just like to rabble on.

I'm going to look at your CV tommorow (ermmm today even!) and then I'll give my view of it :D I can't look at in from a employers perspective at 1:00AM more like a Gourmless perspective :blink