Should I quit before I start?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by wannabe, Nov 20, 2008.

1. wannabe

wannabe New Member

Hello,

I am a 23 year old with no I.T qualifications, and currently find myself employed as a CAD technician.

Having become an expert in AutoCAD and learning other CAD packaged I decided to get into customisation, which lead to me reading a book on C# (C# 2008 for Dummies), well almost finished reading; and also working through a customisation training program from the makers of AutoCAD (Autodesk) to get people started on customising the software with .NET.

Finding programming very interesting, and in my own opinion picking up the concepts fairly quickly, have decided that if possible I would like to be a dedicated programmer - or at least to try it out for a while.

So I really want to get as much advice as possible and see where I stand, what directions I can head in, what to avoid etc.

Would appreciate some comments.

2. skuzzy

skuzzy Bit Poster

Hello, I'd suggest you to follow to that way what you do get excited and love it. You can be a programmer (anyway anyone can be) but it is different loving to program and programming only just for money. So be what you REALLY WANT TO BE, if you like programming I'd suggest you to countinue in that way you're in. :)

WIP: A+
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Before jumping ship id make sure you become proficient in whatever language you decide on, and get a portfolio of programs together to demonstrate what you can do.

This will help you in searching for a job, but id not quit until you have something lined up, especially in the current climate.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal