Sharepoint Definitive Guide Competition

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Phoenix, Jun 8, 2008.

1. nelson1876

nelson1876 New Member

Sharepoint is graet deal of work as multiple incorportion of data at a single point makes it user freinly and time iis saved. I would rather prefer sharepoint tecnique rather than visiting many sites searching for desird task.

2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Took delivery of my copy today... courtesy of play.com. Read the first 4 pages... initial thoughts: easy read, sets things up nicely for the remaining 500+ pages... :)

3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Due to the lack of responses we have decided to extend the deadline till the end of July.

So, you all now have a little over 2 weeks left to find out about sharepoint and put your entry in, otherwise it looks like I'll be walking away with the book by default (as it seems that I'm the only one with a serious entry).:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

How would I use Sharepoint? And how would I use Trip's apparently highly worthwhile and excellent book... I have a number of ideas...

But one thing I could experiment with, is utilising Sharepoint in an idea I have had for a website.

The difficulty I was having, was figuring out how to host documentation securely for users. But Sharepoint offers the ease of use and accessibility that I could easily take on board. Originally I was thinking of something along the lines of Interwoven DMS systems, but the licensing alone required would have been immense.

I would use Sharepoint on a website to encourage new, budding authors. In secure areas, they could host their works with fully protected copyrights. It wouldn't be a portal to sell their works, moreover somewhere that publishers and agents could go to seek new talent (if their busy schedules allow!). It could also be somewhere where people read others' works, and encourage each other to suceed in their career goals, much like CF offers to the discerning IT certification learner.

It would be so beneficial to the end user if not only because of check in/check out and easy to conceive security management, it also allows full tracking of document history to help safeguard the peace of mind of those who may be nervous about their work being stolen.

If the site grew above expectations, Sharepoint would also be very happily scaleable to the required size of my site. Within reasonable expectations of my ability.

Of course, I don't know diddly about Sharepoint. I may have even mistaken the whole point of it, and got this entire post wrong. But it looks like an interesting possibility in my head. lol. I hope Trip's book will help get rid of my complete lack of Sharepoint knowledge :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

This is not an entry into the competition, just a heads up on a sharepoint project.

We are working with a company that has rolled out a platform with a top level site adn then 330+ sites underneath, one for each school. 130,000+ mailboxes, some custom webparts for user admin (since no admin contact in the school with have site collection rights across the whole platform, only in their site they own.

Each secondary school has multiple sub-sites ... mainly for each department , but each course also has its own site based around class groups, resulting in some schools having 500+ sub-sites.

This is before we get onto pastoral areas, where we allow for peer mentoring and student support.

All of the above is authenticated (and having to run over https due to data protection of student information) and will eventually have a shibboleth hook into the regional broadband provider for schools so when you log into your RBC account you have SSO into the sharepoint platform.

The next stages include each school have a public area, parental access so that each student's work and so on can be seen by parents, a hook into the school MIS so that the parents can also see attendance and other information (grades / reports / etc).

And now we are looking at working with Moodle for integration too ... looking at the work a college has done to allow for students to have direct links on their my site to each Moodle course that are enrolled on and each assignment they have been given.

And we haven't even begun to touch on the use of LiveComs for presence management, shared desktops or video conferencing yet.

The result? A shared platform to allow schools to share resources as the next generation of courses (Diplomas aimed at 14-19 year olds) mean that they are delivered by more than one school (usually with the help of an FE / HE college too) even to the point of some aspects will have to be delivered via distance learning.

Departments in different schools will need to be able to communicate and have document management to ensure versions of active documents is sorted, and that data is accurately shared.

A small project by fun.

6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Okay, it's been a long time coming and I'm a little late with this (due to holidays).

We've had a quick discussion out back and it's my pleasure to announce that Arroryn is the winner of the Sharepoint 2007: The Definitive Guide competition.:cheers

We'll be getting in touch with her shortly to arrange the delivery of her prize.

Congrats Arro and thanks for the effort. I hope you can put it to great use.:clap

(nuts, now it looks like I'll have to go and buy my own)

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  7. Arroryn

Woo hoo! Winning by almost default because of a lack of constructive entries! That's my favourite way of winning!!

lol. No seriously, thanks very much :biggrin I'll let you all know when the site's up and running (and stable...)

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Well, you and I had the only serious entries and how would it look if I announced me as the winner.:oops:

Hey, wait a minute, what do I care about how it looks. :twisted:

9. Arroryn

You'd care about how your nose would look if you retracted my win... :brancard

10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Now Arroryn has to get to Trips house to pick it up 8)

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

*quickly removes sticky little fingers from book*

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Hey! Waitaminute! What about that copy I entrusted to Ryan's missus to take over the Pond to the UK?

Congratulations, Arroryn. I only got five author's copies from the publisher and only have one left (my copy),so this certainly is a prize. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. Arroryn

oh wow, I thought it was just *a copy*. In that case

*does dance* somewhere where no one can see

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats, Arro! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Oh c'mon. Show us. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  16. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

It's signed too! Thanks everyone who made the effort to take part, I wanted something that was remotely technically based to decide the winner here as personally I dont like giving away perfectly good books for amusing boob jokes, however good the boobs! I mean jokes I felt the challange was pretty easy even for novice techs, as we saw with some of the entries from people completly new to sharepoint, so well done everyone! Well done Dawn, and good luck to everyone in future comps :) I will contact the motherland and arrange transportation for said prize

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  17. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

Well done ... I look forward to seeing it up and running ... a month should be a reasonable amount of time to play around. :tune

18. Arroryn

Well, it's going to be in good company.

Finally got my lil office sorted out.

So there's my lappy + external monitor on the desk with my beloved Microsoft Ergo keyboard (still haven't been bought the Das Keyboard - fingers crossed for birthday!)

Then work were having a clearout, so I've started with having 3 x P4 2.4GHz machines in the corner. Each has 512MB RAM which I'm going to upgrade to 1GB when I can find the modules we were going to hoof out. Each has a singular 40GB hard drive all of which are also going to be upgraded.

Sooo... spec allowing, I was going to prepare for my next Cert with 'em all. But as they're the new toy, they're getting a lot of attention. Well, I say attention, I went a special trip into work today to pick them up, before going to make a complete tit of myself at football.

Don't worry, as soon as it's up and running, I'll let ALL you guys know about it (so I can get my hits up)