Setting Up & Configuring Alarms in vCenter 5 Part 2

Discussion in 'VMware Certifications' started by craigie, Aug 22, 2012.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

In the previous post setting up and configuring alarms in Setting Up & Configuring Alarms in vCenter 5 Part 1 we looked at the initial configuration. We are now going to run through some of the default alarms, with some suggested thresholds.

Cannot Connect To Storage why would we want to configure this? Well essentially this is a per host setting. If the host loses connection to the storage then the VM's will be restarted using HA. Big deal you say, I can see that in vCentre. Well it also manages 'lost storage path redundancy' and 'degraded storage path redundancy' so if you have an if your ESXi host has multiple connections to it's storage, you will be notified if one of these is lost.

Datastore Usage On Disk quite an important one. From the presented LUN how much space has been provisioned as a Datastore. I recommend always asking for slightly more than need e.g. if you need 1TB for a Datastore, ask for an extra 25%. Then when the Datastore is provisioned only use 1TB so you have room for expansion quickly and easily if needed. With this in mind, I set the Warning to 90% and Critical to 95% so I have some room to either more VM's around either by Storage vMotion or Cold Migration.

Read more here

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5