Setting up a site... help needed

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Arroryn, Mar 30, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Cool effects but long load times. I don't know why it shrank my Firefox browser window. Whenever I try to expand the browser to fill the screen, Firefox goes through these wierd size adjustments for several seconds and finally settles down back to filling only about 80% of my screen ( 1024 X 768 ). Anybody else getting this effect?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'm getting the same in firefox

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I took a look at the site with IE 6 and the effects look way cool. Still takes a bit to load but the countdown helps kill the time. One of the things I found out early on when I started developing websites is that I needed to view them in different browsers and at different screen resolutions. Arroryn, the site looks great in IE 6 at 1024 x 768, but since many people use Firefox, you should see what you can do to get your effects to correctly display in that browser, too. I haven't tried looking at the site at different screen resolutions but modern monitors are capable of much higher resolutions so you might want to make sure your site renders correctly by examining that variable.

Just some thoughts.

EDIT: Oh now go figure...the site works correctly in Firefox.

EDIT again: I right-clicked on the page, chose "About Adobe Flash Player 9" and the Firefox window resized again. It's gotta have something to do with the flash effects.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Just a thought here before you go to far with this...

I love the look of the page, but have a though about your design requirements.

You've gone for 'all flash' - which looks great. Flash pages are usually used where creative effect is more important than anything else, such as in advertising. The downside is that it is a pain to update - unless you get *really* spohisticated, you need to edit your flash source and reload it evertime you want to change the site.

As I understand it, your site is going to be some kind of blog - an ongoing story written by more than one person.

So I would have thought that ease of updating content would be high on your list of priorities. If you use ASP or PHP, you can make it really simple for non-techy people to upload changes without having to worry about formatting etc.

Look at this forum for example - none of us have a clue what we're doing, but it all works out in the end...

Just my two cents...

:biggrin :blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

That's a great idea Jonny, and something I have been lending thought to.

I wanted the site to make a great impression (so visitors didn't bugger off as soon as they saw it). The more 'practical' pages certainly won't be as snazzy. I'll link off them, but try and use the same graphical background/theme for the download/blogging pages.

Should be a fun ol' project!

Back to the typing board...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Good-oh.

A comon trick is to use a flash banner and/or navigation with a few flash movies on a page to disguise the fact that most of it is static. I've seen it done really well in places.

The key is how you break your page up into elements to hide the 'break points'. Unfortunately the recent changes which insist on putting a border round flash elements and the 'click here to run' restrictions have spoiled this effect a bit.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD