Server setup questions

Discussion in 'Networks' started by datarunner, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You dont need one if you want to host website on the SBS. The server doesnt have two of everything (only one mobo) but it should have a high levelof fault tolerance. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

Hi Guys

I very much appreciate all the help here but its seems im getting different info. See quote above.

As this company is selling products online id say it was pretty critical that the server is online as much as possible. So this takes me back to my original question. Am i better with 1 server or 2?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Sparky

You wont be able to load balance the website over two servers if one of them is gonna run SBS and therefore host your domain and email.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

So can i do this with 2 servers running 2003 std edition?

5. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

OK guys Im torn between 1 server with as much redundancy as possible or 2 servers load balanced. Although my knowledge of load balancing is limited with regards to dhcp, backups etc and if the hardware has to be identical or not.

6. Sparky

Ok, go for two servers. One will have SBS installed and take care of the domain,email etc and the other can host your website. You could go for Windows 2003 web edition to cut costs.

7. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

So NLB is possible between different versions of server 2003 esecially between SBS and Web edition? If the SBS fails can the web edition take over? And what is the best HDD / RAID / Backup plan here?

Sorry, i must be doing your nut in now

8. Sparky

No, NLB is only available on the enerprise version of Windows 2003.

Go for two servers (decent spec) but dont worry about splitting roles over two servers. For the network you are installing it is unlikely that kinda setup would be installed (due to cost).

Server 1 = SBS
    Server 2 = Webserver

That should get you top marks! :biggrin

9. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

10. Sparky

My mistake, just clustering is available on Enterprise. Not sure if you can NLB a SBS and a Windows 2003 web server though. They may have to be the same OS.

11. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

Datarunner, unfortunately you're only getting advice from one person along with my two penneth

IMHO It'd be good if you could get points of view from others as to what they would do too and weigh up all the pro's and cons before deciding

We each have our own perspective and in my line of work redundancy is of upmost importance, any down time soon starts costing us money and scrimping an a server is shortsighted

I've learned to expect the unexpected and take even the most unlikeliest event into consideration

Too many companies rely wholly on their IT yet give Business continuity very little thought until it's too late

Does anyone else have any suggestions as to the way he should go?

Certifications: MCSA 2003
    WIP: You tell me
  12. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

So im thinking 2 servers running std / SBS edition (same on each), NLBed. Just the backup to deal with now. Is there a way i can back them up and restore them independantly on 1 device?

Thanks for your time, patience and info on this

13. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

Sorry m8 didnt realise you had replied there. Yeah i hear what you are saying and value your opinion / advice as much as anyone elses.

Im new to this so im the guy asking yous for help

14. Sparky

Spec one server with a tape drive and you can backup both servers to one tape each day (just as an example), say Mon to Fri.

If you purchase Veritas\Symantec Backup Exec you can install remote agents on many servers and back them up to one tape device.

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think the reason not many people are pitching in, is that the advice being given thus far is sound and solid, especially given your allotted budget.

Clearly there are other ways of achieving your goal but the limited budget precludes them :wink:

Pete another SBS fan 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. Sparky

I install networks like this day in day out. There are a few flaws in the original question that datarunner has been given.
    For a start if the website requires NLB as it is important to keep it online then there should be a leased line as well for connectivity. This infrastructure alone is big ££££ and I would suspect a company with only 12 employees does not have that amount of cash for their IT infrastructure.

Therefore *in the real world* if I had to recommend a solution I would go for.

*Outsource the web hosting to a web hosting company and take advantage of their data centre and high speed connection.

*Install SBS standard or premium (depending if they want to run a separate firewall) and purchase a business internet connection package offering at least one static I.P address. Purchase AV and backup software as required to finish the server install. For the client PCs buy 12 PCs from Dell (or whoever you prefer) and add Office 2003 or 2007 to the order.

3 days to install the lot and get the support contract signed, easy! :biggrin

17. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

OK we can draw this to a close. I must say that the advice here has been speedy and fantastic. Talk about a crash course in small business network / server installation. Ive certainly learned a lot.

The project is probably designed to be flawed to test ability, competence etc within a high uptime / low budget environment.

Anyway the project requires us to document atleast 2 types of approach and compare them. So I am going to propose and document both the single server with high spec / redundancy as well as the 2 server NLB approaches.

Then its up to what me and 3 other team members decide.

Once again I cant thank the people enough who contributed to this.

Cheers.

18. Gary B

Gary B Nibble Poster

Just to say my comment about getting varied views wasn't aimed as a dig at your advice, just that depending what angle you look at it from then you could come up with a different point of view and the more the merrier.

BTW - I'd go for your last option of web hosting and SBS too :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003
    WIP: You tell me
  19. Sparky

No probs mate, I was waiting for someone to post a full Linux solution as an alternative! :biggrin

20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

ROFLMAO :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)