1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

server admin?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by veloce, Aug 6, 2010.

1. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

Guys,

might be getting a little ahead of myself here but I am trying to formulate some kind of training schedule for the next 12+ months.

Ultimately, I want to get into server admin roles. I realise I am a bit off that just yet, however, once I get my network+ out of the way, what should I be looking for cert-wise? Or is it a case of it being pointless without the practical experience in this field?

I know that MCDST is being retired next March, what takes its place?

I want to keep up the momentum I have for getting to where I want to be, I just need a little guidance.

Thanks

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  2. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Hi mate,

XP will still be around for a long time to come so definitely go for this cert (you can always upgrade it later to windows 7).
    Then its simply a case of working your way up the ladder :)
    Get into an entry level job as soon as you can to start your career and the certs will follow, the way i see it, you use a+ n+ and mcdst to get into the industry, then every other cert after that should validate what you have learned in your career, worked for me :D

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  3. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

cheers Dan, thanks for the response.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  4. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I agree with Dan. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!