SCCM 2007 Course

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by exonje, Jan 9, 2014.

1. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Hi people,

I have recently landed a new role and on my first week I have been booked on the course "Planning, Deploying and Managing Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007" in 6 weeks time. Now I do not have much experience with the program, there is little training in my new role and ive been told I need to learn what I need to know on my own accord. To say i'm a little bit worried I am going on this course is an understatement.

My plan of attack is to install a virtual server later with SCCM, then search youtube for relevant videos and go through them. Is there any other material that somebody can recommend? Also, has anyone attended this course and can enlighten me?

Will I be OK going with 6 weeks of self study?

I have been told however that there is no exam at the end (which I can take up to 6 months later), which makes me feel a bit better.

EDIT*
    Forgot to mention I also have little server experience.

Many thanks,

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

The SCCM Unleashed books generally seem to have good reputation, I'm going to be getting one for my SCCM 2012 studies, although ive already implemented SCCM successfully in our network.

Labs and the net will help gain you experience, but if you are labbing I would try and replicate your work environment as much as possible, one thing I would stress is make sure you are OK with certificates, if you are using certificates in your organization then this can cripple your implementation if you get it wrong, theres some good sites (sorry don't have links on me, google should help) telling you what certificates you need for each role and so on.

Also I would know where client logs are, which is c:\windows\ccm\logs (this is 2012 client id imaging its the same on 2007) and which one relates to which client task.

Do any of your co-workers have any SCCM experience?

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

The unleashed book looks good, thank you. There is only me and a colleague in the team, who is also new (started a few months before me), they are going on the course after me and have similar SCCM experience to myself.

My main concern is going away on this course for a week and looking like an absolute idiot and not being able to do anything. It really worrying me. How do these courses work? DO they go through the steps in detail and help you along?

4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I wouldn't worry about it just do your best.

If you don't mind me asking what is the new role you have accepted?

- - - Updated - - -

You should get a course outline telling you what they will teach, but that should be fine to get you up and running in your role

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

3rd line support, thanks for your help mate.

6. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

3rd line support, what experience do you have at the moment ?

not used SCCM myself but the MS course i did in the class (not SCCM course) was pretty much led and explained if there is no exam at the end of the initial course don't worry you can fill the gaps before then

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Sorry for the mega late reply, only just came back onto the forums after being away a while :)

I've been working in SCCM Implementation, Design & Administration for the last 4 years.

Learning SCCM from new - it's not the easiest program to get on with, especially if you're starting on 2007, when 2012 is probably the way forward now (Saying that you could be working in a huge infrastructure where an upgrade isn't practical right now :) )

It took me a good 4-5 months to get up together on the basics of SCCM on a live environment, this was managing around 20k clients. it probably took me around a year to be competent of running it by myself and not needing advice of others.

Dependent upon what your company utilizes inside of SCCM (WSUS, OSD, PXE Booting etc) the amount you'll need to learn will vary. It's a complex system, but setting up your own lab environment will do you good and give you the chance to nail specific area's along with one of the unleashed books.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud