Sat Nav's

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by derkit, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

I went to a funeral a couple of weeks ago and I printed a map of still got lost so i rang my sister who was on her way with her sat nav. I took instructions from her and got to the church but sadley the sat nav took her to the wrong church. Still cant work out how she gave me the right directions to the right place but not her :ohmy

WIP: C++ and A+
  2. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Yes, Tomtom one is the product here. Mine tells me when there are speed camera's, when I'm driving to fast and warns way ahead of turns. Recalculating a new route is fast so mostly I will get correct redirections in time. Maps are accurate (I have western Europe) and detailed. It brings me door to door and can even be used by pedistrians.

Tip: never put your home address in a tomtom system. When it gets nicked (during holidays), the thief not only has your home address, but also knows you are not there. One phonecall to his helpers and you could find your home nice and clean of all those energy consuming stuff as there is your plasma TV, your stereo, your computer and so on.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  3. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

That's a good one, their minds (brains) on the raod...

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Problem with a map is you can't read it while driving if driving solo, meaning you have to pull over, in a busy city or a one way system this is a bit of a non starter making the GPS a real bonus, it often gets you door to door without you having to take your eyes off the road.

On the other hand I never had anyone break into my car looking for my A-Z... :rolleyes:

I think I read something like 50% of sat nav sales are people replacing stolen units...

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You can't? :ohmy

Hmm... :hhhmmm have to figure out how I did that the other day...

:twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Maybe you are able to read a map while driving and keep your full attention and concentration on the road ahead, but I certainly can't. I'd also rather not kill or injure some poor sucker who happens to run out etc.. just at the moment I'm trying to read a map.

Sure it's possible to read a map no problem if you pull over, or are in a traffic jam, but in busy moving traffic ... accident waiting to happen.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Note the little devil face at the bottom of the post. :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Dedicated all of 60 minutes to it (doesn't deserve too much more :p) - decided the TomTom Go 520 in the end, see one for about £160 so when its payday :D

I never had an issue with a map - I just like gadgets :D

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293