1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running DLLs from a webpage

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by philbenson, Mar 28, 2007.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

I would like to create a single webpage which will contain a number of simple text hyperlinks to run various Windows operations from RunDLL32.

Anyone got any ideas?

eg. RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL appwiz.cpl,,1

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

My first thought is that anone with half a clue will block this. Running random DLLs from a web page is the classic way of getting infected.

Why do you need to do this?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

It's really to help out a colleague who works in a primary school providing IT support.

Her memory isn't what it could be and so she keeps on forgetting how to carry out various Windows tasks such as adding a TCP/IP printer port, adding a PC to a domain, or accessing network connections. So I thought a webpage with appropriately named links that would execute the various rundll32 commands would be useful for her. That way she clicks on a link and the dialog box comes opens up straight from that.

I did create a simple VB program that did this but just wondered if it could be done via webpage links.

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sounds like an ideal IT support technician...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Helpful comment there. If she didn't teach and run half the school at the same time I dare say she would less on her mind and have time to write down things like that. I'm just trying to make her life easier.

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Ah! This is what activeX is supposed to help with. However, I think you'd have problems with many machines not allowing stuff to run.

Why not do a scripted module, with menus, and stick it on an USB pen-drive?

(Cue comments on how easily such a thing might be lost! :biggrin )

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Will give it a try Harry. Thanks. Sometimes I really wish I knew more about programming. Still trying to get to grips with Photoshop, Dreamweaver and 3DS Max!