route for MCAD (for this dummy)

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by wideboy_west, Sep 12, 2006.

1. wideboy_west

wideboy_west Bit Poster

I know this most likely has been asked before but I would like some help on MCAD certs.

I am currently an Informix programmer with some C and VB knowledge. I would like to get my MCAD (self pacing) while still doing this job which will be for about two/three more years, and then the packages we are buying will replace the developers.

First will my windows home P.C need to have Professional on it?

I am a bit confused to what all the exams are and what I really need to pass. SQL XML etc??

For example I want to do VB.NET developer.

Do I need classroom training as well as self pacing?
    Where do I take the exams?

Is there a flowchart or something similar to show the route to the cert?

Does anyone have a MCAD or similar in any language?
    what exams did you pass?

Where did you get the self placing kits? Ebay?

What makeup of the certs to employers like the best?

I have all the 2005 express editions currently on my P.C.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Wow!
    Many questions...
    The best place to look for details is http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcad/default.asp
    I got my MCAD by doing 70-305, 306 and 310 en route to an MCSD, but you don't have to do it that way.
    Generally speaking, you do a 'platform' exam (web or Windows) an XML exam, then an elective such as SQL or whatever.

Ideally you should have Pro on your machine so that you can make use of IIS. Then some kind of IDE, Visual Basic or Visual Studio, and some kind of datasource such as SQL or MSDE.

Just that and some reading material and you can get started.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. wideboy_west

wideboy_west Bit Poster

Thanks for the reply

Could I use the express editions of visual studio 2005 or would it be best to get visual studio 2003?

Did you do self pacing or with a traning provider?

If so what books, couses etc?

Thanks again

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm not a big user of 2005 so I can't give you an honest opinion about it being relevant or not to the MCAD/MCSD exams, although it would probobally do.

I've used a number of books, preplogic, sams and MS - it's quite handy to read the reviews on Amazon to see which ones are helpful or appropriate for your level.

Training provider or solo really depends on how much help and guidance you need. I've done both. If you really have no idea what you're getting into, or lack a bit of self discipline, then a trainer may be able to help you.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Hangleton

Hangleton Bit Poster

If you're planning over a 2/3 year time frame, I wonder if MCTS/MCPD might be more appropriate? It's essentially a replacement certification that covers the later (2005, .NET 2.0) technology.

I have done the first exam in MCTS (70-536) and found that the VS Express editions didn't quite cut it for me, though you do get a 3 month trial of VS 2005 Pro with the self study book. XP Professional is ideal, but not essential.

Certifications: MCPD EA, MCDST, MCTS SQL
    WIP: MCPD .NET 3.5, MCITP Vista