1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Revisiting my options

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Angry Dog, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Angry Dog

Angry Dog Nibble Poster

I've been here once before, looking at my options for where to go in my career.
    I didnt go through with the training as my role changed and I became a Team Leader.
    I've now moved back into a Tech Support role (2nd line support for bespoke software) but I only support the bespoke software (one of them is in a 16bit version of superbase!).

I want to start doing more IT based qualifications. I realise that to re-train I am going to take a significant hit in wages, as after 10 and a half years working for the same company, I am on a decent wage. I also accept that short term pain for long term gain, as once I've been in a more IT based role, I'll be more free to move into different, better paying roles.

So, should I start with the A+ still, then N+ and then the latest Windows desktop support qualifications?

I have little experience these days of supporting anything other than the bespoke products that I support now, though do have a little bit of Windows desktop support.

Thanks, your input and advice will be appreciated.
    Certifications: IT NVQ level 2/3
    WIP: MCDST, A+, N+
  2. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Yea i would say A+ and N+ are a great place to start. Thats what i did before finding my first IT job (Desktop Support Analyst)

Not only did they help me get recognised and get an interview but i also learnt alot from these.
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101