Red Hat Fedora Master Class!

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Phoenix, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I have had an idea that will involve a lot of us in a somewhat organised teaching effort, I would like to run a Red Hat Master Class for VMWare owners

Owners of spare machines are ALSO welcome to join, but I cannot confirm compatibility with your hardware and hence canot help solve some problems

Everyone will require a messenger of some kinds, or an IRC client so that we can communciate in real time (notes will also be posted here for people that wish to follow in way out time zones, or at thier own pace)

we will all move step by step through the installation, basic configuration and basic troubleshooting of the operating system

If this is a success I would like to expand it to other linux flavors (so you can learn VARIETY (linux main selling point) and the differences between other os' including windows, BSD, and linux)

Please post your comments on this idea, and those of you who are itnerested but do not have the required software/hardware

Screen shots will be required during all phases

This could be a big idea if it takes off, and the re opening of the LAB Partners section as it inspires us to work and solve problems as a team!

Long Live CF.CO.UK! :P

Edit: Required Supplies

For those without VMWare you can get an evaluation from here
    VMWare Download Center

Fedora Core 2 ISOs
    Available Here as ISOs and Here as a Bittorrent download
    please google if you dont have the bit torrent client and want to get them that way

Your will need an IRC client and/or MSN Messenger
    please google for mIRC if you want an IRC client and MSN Messenger is a give away

Fedora Core 2 has been chosen for a few reasons
    A) yes I have the most experiance on red hat and feel it will be easier for me to solve problems and situations for students by using this distro
    B) its cutting edge and will help show you what it may be like when you finally deploy linux yourself
    C) Red Hat is the most adopted distro world wide, and what you learn will likely be similar if not identical to that in RHEL (Enterprise Linux) as well as other RPM based distros such as SUSE

Note D) I have yet to install Fedora Core 2 on VMWare and will begin the process immediately, if I find it unable to work in VM (as many distros are) I will request we revert to FC1 (also pretty bleeding edge, and i know it works on vmware)

The Master Class will be designed to work on VMWare for Windows, with Fedora Core as the GUEST operating system, those familier enough with linux to have VMWare working on it, will NOT need this basic master class :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I'm well up for that mate.

Which RedHat version do I need?
    I see their's a commercial version and a free version from what it says on the Linux ISO website.

3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'm up for it too Phoenix. Do you mean Red Hat as a vm or as the host on which to have vmware? In any case I'm with the program as I really would like to see Lab Partners up and running again.

Edit: Are you thinking of Red Hat at the moment because you have the most experience with it or it's the most popular??

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I'm up for that as well m8, but I shall have to use a spare machine to do this as i ain't got vmware. Will be most interested in incorporating it into a Windows network using shares and ACL lists. But count me in.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Hmm i added more info but it doesnt show up as a new post as i edited the original, so please take a look at the end of that :)

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Seems we may have to move back to Fedora Core 1

FC2 by default uses the 2.6 kernel and it failed to work correctly after installed with FC2, the console vanished very 10 seconds and X windows failed to load, I will continue testing to see if there is anything I can do

but please grab the Fedora Core 1 ISOs (Yarrow) from Here and also from Linux ISO

sorry for those who have already started downloading FC2, im sure we will use it at somepoint so do not feel you have wasted a download :P

DOWNLOAD SAVER!
    Quick point to mention

Do not get any of the SRPMS CDs as these are source cds and are not required

and CD3 will not be required
    so that should save you a few gigs of downloads if you thought you needed everything! :)

7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

How do I download these?

When I do this in mozilla, the download box appears saying 'open with (program) or 'save to disk.'

Which should I choose, I'm useless at this, so bear with me.

I have actually downloaded the first disk, and I chose the open with option.
    However, the program was 'Winimage' which didn't seem to work.

I went into Winimage but there was no were near 650MB of files there, which led me to believe the download wasn't completed or the files have gone walkabout.

Anyway basically, the next time I do this, I want it to be right.So can you walk this thick b^"*&^%% through the procedure anybody
    :helpread

My Nero burning software trial is past it's expiry date, but I can always sort that with my reg cleaner.
    Other than that, I have Roxy Easy CD Creator.

Oh one last point.The CD I had attempted to download was from Pheonix's first post, where the link was provided.
    I've just noticed that, although I had read his last post in this discussion about having to change, this slipped my mind.Therefore I just used the link from the first post, thus downloading the wrong CD.
    I know you've stated that fedora 2 will come in handy anyway, it's just that I'd rather have not downlaoded something I don't need now.
    So can you edit your original post, providing the link to fedora 1 and not 2.
    This is so that other's joining later don't make the mistake I made, wasting time.

Cheers:!:

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

OK flex, first when you dl the file click on save to disk. Sometimes it gives you the chance to put it somewhere you want, sometimes not. When it's finished in the download window, click show file location and then right click on the file and send to my documents.

Also with Roxio, go to file->new project from image (I think) and find your dl'd image file. You'll have to change the open file type to look for *.iso files as the default is *.cif (??). Also don't forget to check the image files MD5sum first (sorry if you knew any of this already).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Finally:!: I downloaded both CD's. :D

And:!: they even seem to work, first time :D

But:!: I'm having problems with it picking my mouse up in the setup.

I choose logitech because its an optical logitech mouse.
    However when I choose logitech the enxt button is greyed out (cannot be chosen) so I have to choose something else.

When I choose USB, it's not recognized. :cry:

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey Flex - what IS it with you and mice ? :scratch

:D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

im in too... ill be doing this on another machine and im getting the cd's now... which ones are required? All 4?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Zimbo, you might want to start a new thread or contact Phoenix by PM. You just responded to a thread that's a year old and I think the situation about the class has changed quite a bit.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: i didnt even notice the 2004! :)

14. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

LOL.

Zimbo, I was thinking about joining up with this too, until I read where Phoenix kept referring to Fedora Core 1 and 2 as bleeding edge. That made me go 'Huh?" and I figured I'd better read the dates on the thread.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Aye, I'm looking to try and ressurect this as you may of noticed in the Lab Partners 'Master Class RELOADED' thread with FC4 and VMWares new video capture ability should make it easier to roll out tasks :)
    rather than 100 screen shots!

I'm doing what I can but have a fair few projects in the work for CF that are all in the planning/i have not enough hours in a day catagory, including a CF Wiki, Cert of the Month as well as the masterclass! wish me luck lol

16. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

thanks Phoenix.. will check out the new thread :)
    hope it becomes a reality! :biggrin

17. ffreeloader

Not to worry. It's all good. I should just stick to the things I should be working on now anyway: sed, awk, regular expressions, bash scripting, perl, python, and a few other irons I have in the fire. Adding another item to the list, as interesting as it sounds, would probably be counter productive.

My chances at a job would probably be much better served by going deeper with my current skills rather than adding more width. After a while it gets so you know a little about a whole lot and that doesn't do you, or a prospective employer, much good.

18. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

dont worry freddy, the masterclass was designed for complete linux newbies and as such was going to be very simplistic
    if your already onto awk and bash scripting your way past its level :)

come to mention it i really need to learn awk and sed properly, time to spend more money with oreilly :)

19. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

where can we get the OS from? the redhat FTP is really slow about 5kBs :( and do we need all the cds?

20. ffreeloader

LOL. I know what you mean. I subscribe to Safari through Informit and do my studying that way as much as I can as it's a fairly cheap way of getting access to a couple of different books on the same subject at the same time. It costs me $10 a month for access to 5 books at a time. It's also a pretty good way to preview what books are good and what ones aren't.

While Safari's selection isn't the greatest, they are getting better about adding newly published books to their list.