Red Dead Redemption

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by DrHogg, May 25, 2010.

1. DrHogg

DrHogg Bit Poster

Seeing as pete.grant posted about Alan Wake, I wonder - has anyone here tried Read Dead Redemption yet?

I'm enjoying it, though I do not believe that it lives up to the hype that surrounded it. Offline play is enjoyable but even though it's an "open world," it still feels a little linear at the moment.

For example, in one part of the story I wanted to shoot the guy in the head, the game faded to black and it said Mission Failed: You broke the law! ... I thought they had said we would be able to make our own choices. Most of the time it appears you can, but sometimes this kind of thing crops up and makes me feel let down.

Another major bone of contention I have is with the Free Roam online play. Now granted I'm fairly new to Xbox stuff; but it feels like a let down that you can't do skinning, buying/selling, etc. or even use a lassoo in Free Realm. Perhaps I'm missing something but I just can't seem to get these things to happen online.

A side from the game itself, it really irritates me that I have to mute every other player because they're some snotty 10 year old, even though the game is rated 18+. As a father myself, I echo the game developer's response to the BBC questioning under 18's playing..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/technology/newsid_10130000/newsid_10136300/10136311.stm

WIP: 70-682
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I've been getting mixed reports from the people that managed to get a copy although Bird People Glitch looks funny :D

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. DrHogg

DrHogg Bit Poster

I haven't seen that myself, but I have seen in Free Roam:
    * Horses that get shot dead - sometimes their corpse floats up in to the sky as if ascending to heaven.
    * Horses that are whistled for - sometimes they fall from the sky as if being dropped from a plane.
    * Horses that are whistled for - if the player is killed before the horse reaches him/her, the horse runs off into the distance like speedy gonzales.

Biggest let down as I said is lack of skinning, lassoo, buying/selling in Free Roam, but I don't know if this is a bug or feature.

Biggest tip I can give for Free Roam is, get a target on your enemy and then in a split second release the target, nudge the aim up a tiny fraction, relock the target and shoot - instant head-shot every time, regardless of type of gun, if you are quick enough. .. Works well with the throwing knife too.

WIP: 70-682
  4. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I have been playing it and really enjoying it, far more so than the last few GTA's. I find the world more to my liking and I have spent most of my time doing side activities like the hunting, bounty hunting and the challenges.

I havent seen much in the way of glitched graphics so maybe its an online thing?

I have to say I very much agree with what the guy from Rockstar said and I think more developers should come out and say this isnt for kids when it is appopriate to do so.

So far my score is hovering about the 8/10 mark - very enjoyable.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. Grumpy Hayes

Grumpy Hayes New Member

i am going to get this today most of my mates are playing this now :D

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am hoping for a PC version although I will probably have to wait 6-8 months as seems to be usual with Rockstar.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Given that its rockstar it will be a piss poor port if they do make a PC version

8. greenbrucelee

sometimes it takes few patches before they get better.

I just want to kill a few nuns :D

9. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Hell why not hog tie them and leave them on the train tracks for an incoming train. Entirely possible in this and a western classic to boot!

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  10. greenbrucelee

Yep I know I done it on my mates xbox the other day :D seems like its a good game just haven't got a console to play it on.

11. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

You can pickup an xbox for as little as £120 these days

12. greenbrucelee

I had 4 of these console got fed up of the red lights of death, I actually considered buying one the other day but instead have decided to save up and build the killer of all PCs (for about 3 weeks it will be anyway :D).

13. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I've got a CPU for you ;)

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  14. greenbrucelee

How much did you want for it again?

15. westernkings

Make me an offer via PM and I'm sure will sort something out, I'm looking to get rid quickly however, sold my GTX480 yesterday, so slowly but surely getting there.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  16. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Oi WK use your own thread for that stuff :P, anyway check this out

17. westernkings

I have actually just gone and bought it for PS3. Saw a friend playing it on his Xbox yesterday night so hope it's the same. Lassoing people off horseback FTW!!

18. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I'm sure xbox was the lead platform for this game so don't expect to much WK