Recruitment Agencies

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by exonje, Oct 6, 2016.

1. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

Hi peeps,

Is it normal for them to ask for the company names you are currently interviewing at as well as references before I have even applied for a job through them? I am a bit hesitant to divulge that information really. Is this standard practice?

2. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Yup, happened a few times. I just said that I am not willing to divulge the information.

3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes it is normal for disreputable recruiters to do this.

No you should under no circumstances give them an answer, I'd advise telling them never to call you again, remove you from their books and put the phone down.

You are under no obligation to give recruiters any information you don't feel comfortable with. I'd tell them nothing that doesn't relate directly to the job and your experience for the job.

Do NOT mention, interviews, previous managers, salary, applications, references, passport details, NI number.

Only supply references after a job offer in writing from the employer, and then tell them they can only contact your referees for the express purpose of getting one reference.

ALWAYS remember the recruitment industry is unregulated and they could be anyone including criminals who could commit identity theft.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  4. MasterDelgado

MasterDelgado Nibble Poster

I've had dealings with Robert Half - they'll ask for job references up front whether they have a job for you or not. It's just a lead generation tool for them - save your references for actual HR when you are given a job offer. Also be sure to look up salary rates from their own salary survey (Google it) and quote back to them, otherwise you might end up underpaid. Most of these recruiters are fresh out of university with an MBA they need to pay for, so if they don't hit their targets, a few months down the line you'll deal with a new one since the first one has been replaced.

Certifications: Sec+ | Fortinet NSE 1 & 2
    WIP: CCNA
    dmarsh likes this.
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Never seen a recruiter with an MBA, lucky if they passed high school.

garycul likes this.
  6. garycul

garycul Nibble Poster

They are just the lowest of the low most agencies. I had a cold call a few weeks from an agency who was "keen" get me a suitable role so I discussed in some length my skills, experience and what role I was looking for. Just a couple of days ago I received an email from this agency (same bloke who spoke me on the phone). It went along the line of "I have a role for you in Bradford, second line support. Client is paying £9 an hour. If you are interested in the role please call me back. If not would you be able to help me find a suitable candidate for this role ?"

I will be phoning the agency later to get these idiots to remove me from their books. Being offered a role barely more than a burger server at McDonalds is bad enough but to be asked to help them do their jobs in quite another.

Certifications: 70-697 Configuring Windows Devices, 70-680 Configuring Windows 7, 70-687 Configuring Windows 8.1, TCP/IP ON NT4, NT 4 Server, NT4 Workstation, Windows 95, Windows 3.1, ITIL SLM Practitioner, ITIL v2 and v3 Foundation