Real Life Cisco 877 ADSL, VPN & Wireless Configurations

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by craigie, Jul 24, 2010.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Eh? Where do they advertise that? Got a link?

I'm quite familiar with what they do and do not teach in the CCNP track. I currently write practice exams for Cisco certifications. And, believe it or not, they really don't teach you to configure a certain type of router. They give you basics, fundamentals, and theory, and then they teach you how to configure things in the IOS. Once you've got those concepts down, it doesn't matter how you connect... the configuration part is basically the same.

No, not really. I've been in IT for over 12 years, and the one thing I've learned is that experience is king.

I prepared me to work in the real world. Certs didn't do it.

I didn't certify and then work... I worked and then certified. That's how it's supposed to work, by the way. The purpose of certification is NOT to learn about things you want to be doing... the purpose of certification is to show an employer what you already have experience doing.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. m1979

m1979 Bit Poster

Come on mate... you know what I mean... :rolleyes:
    if you write practice exams you know, that questions are based on real configurations, they do not just ask what LSA is...

And I do agree, that certs do not prepare you for your job. But training & courses - YES!

I took part in an official CCNA Academy some time ago and not sure if you know what they teach there... all details that you can imagine! Especially in the first part... I am pretty sure that no one who passed CCNA would be able to pass a final exam from a CCNA Academy...
    OK... i finished it (one long and hard year) and... I did not know how to configure 800 small size office router... Of course... by saying - 'i did not know' I mean I was not able to do as easy & fast as describing all fields in IP packet...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  3. BosonMichael

No, that's the problem... I have no idea what you mean, because I'd be able to configure an 800-series router after taking the CCNA.

Some questions are based on configurations, yes. Others are simply to determine what theroy you know.

All that said, LSA questions and scenarios don't prepare you for how to configure a router in the real world... it simply introduces you to the concepts of what an LSA is and what it's used for.

Training & courses, no. Classroom labs aren't the same as real life. When you get your first IT job, you'll eventually figure that out. It'll help you learn theory... and it can help you learn how to configure a router... but it won't prepare you for what happens when the organic material hits the oscillating air circulator.

Then, unfortunately, the school or training center from which you took the CCNA Academy has failed you.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  4. m1979

m1979 Bit Poster

Ok... I give up... you know everything better...

5. BosonMichael

Only because I've been in IT for 12 years, mate... not because I'm anything special. You'll be where I am eventually, given enough time. And when you do, I hope that you share what you have learned with people who are just entering the field.

Take hold of the IOS and learn how to master it using the information you learned in the CCNA course. In time, you'll be able to configure it to your heart's content.

6. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

After CCNA i was able to configure several 800 series routers for customers sites.....

I thought the whole Idea of cisco equipment is that you learn the IOS, not the specific routers...? if you know the IOS you can pretty much configure SMB routers up to enterprise level routers surely???

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
    WIP: CCIE V5 (when its out)
  7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I could do it and I didn't know anything in the CCNA :D

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  8. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Not jumping on the bandwagon but hey, I'm able to configure 800-series router after taking CCENT and doing some research on my own.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  9. BosonMichael

Exactly right. The point of the CCNA isn't to focus on any specific router model... it is to focus on the technologies used on Cisco devices and the commands used to configure them.

10. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

Thats just a posh way of saying what i said! :biggrin but the textbook version and completely correct!

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
  11. m1979

m1979 Bit Poster

Well... in the next posts I will probably see, that after CCNA people where able to setup vpn for 87982 clients in 5 minutes :biggrin
    I love discussion boards... and the Internet.... here people can lift 500kg in one hand and configure OSPF for 5 areas in multisite company in 1 houre remotely, playing quake on the other screen...

BTW BosonMichael - why did u assume that I am talking about myself...?!
    I am in IT for many years and it does not mean I cannot criticize CCNA ;-)

Just to summarize - in my opinion CCNA does NOT prepare you to be good enough to do anything with Cisco in a real environement... or maybe I was lucky enough to meet 'fresh' CCNA people who passed their exams using braindumps only? Do not think so...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  12. BosonMichael

Because if you knew what you were talking about, you wouldn't hold the opinion you do.

You seem to be the only person who has a problem configuring 800-series routers after taking the CCNA. So I guess everyone else is lying just to make you look bad?? :blink

13. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

now now boys! :)

Agree to disagree.... However Boson is right!