reading material for A+

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by danvan, Jun 30, 2008.

1. danvan

danvan New Member

I am due to start the A+ course in August. I am reasonably proficient at using a PC, but have very limited PC hardware maintenance experience and have never put one together - i have removed and inserted memory, installed a modem, but that's about it!

Does anyone know a good book that can give me some base knowledge on basic hardware, networking and TCP/IP so that I can prepare myself as best possible for the course?

Any help would be appreciated.

Certifications: A+
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The Mike Meyers A+ all in one *6th* edition which covers just about everything your likely to encounter in the exam and PC Technician Street Smarts by the one and only Tripwire45 (James Pyles), which is excellent as a companion to the former. Both are highly recommended by our forum members.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

In addition to Bluerinse's comments, I'd also reccommend the CBT nuggets videos, I'm good when I can visualize things and they were really helpful, although the American accent on the tutor drove my family daft!

the Cram sheets you can download from the Proprofs website are also useful once you get to the revision stage. Good luck with your studies :biggrin

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  4. AlphaMale

AlphaMale New Member

I am currently using:

• Mike Meyers A+ all in one *6th* edition
    • PC Technician Street Smarts
    • CBT nuggets videos

Seems to be going well so far, although I am aiming to get the A+ done by November anytime this side of 2009 would be ok. I'll then look to do my Network+

I totally agree about the American accent as sported by James Conrad. :rolleyes:

Certifications: BSc Multimedia Tech & IT Studies
    WIP: A+
  5. pfairbrother

pfairbrother Bit Poster

I'm using Mike Meyers AIO and the James Pyles Streetsmarts books for initial learning but I've also found that the Mike Meyers Passport to A+ book very good as a revision resource.
    I can roll it up and place it in my coat pocket (after removing the included CD!) so it's easy to read when I have a spare 10 mins.
    I like his writing style and find him very readable.

Certifications: MCP (70-271)
    WIP: A+. 70-272