Re: New Career

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Robin4265, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Robin4265

Robin4265 New Member

Hi there,

I am a new member and my name is Robin. Last week my contract finished and whilst I am looking for another job, I found this ad :Become a qualified IT Technician in just 70 learning hours.
    It is a free course but I thought I check with you guys to find out whether it is worth starting.At the moment, anything that increases my skills for free is a bonus as I got time on my hands.
    Please let me know what you think of this course:
    http://www.freeittraining.co.uk/

Thanks in advance
    Robin

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If that were true...

...don't you think everyone would be doing it?

In truth, it takes way more than 70 hours of study to make someone a tech. There are no quick-and-easy shortcuts.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If IT is for you then you need to put the time in to increase your skills, as already said there are no shortcuts.

What type of IT job are you looking for?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Robin4265

Robin4265 New Member

Hi,

Should I start with this course or go for A+. I have to admit that my IT knowledge is basic at the moment.

After some time,I would like to end up doing the MCSE.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Robin

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Have you noticed the rest of the site, they want you to buy a base unit of them which WILL help you pass the course its only £299. if you do you need to buy a monitor too.

If you want to pass the course you need to BUY the interactive DVD should be DVD-ROM £149

Sounds like its not really free to me.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

IT is a huge field with a lot of competition, I dont think its possible to become and IT tech in 70 hours but those 70 hours can teach you a lot.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Looking at that site, the free courses appear to be from *previous* versions of the courses they are now currently running.

While they *may* be useful I'd suggest that you keep this in mind. In addition, you don't seem to get anything you could show to a prospective employer.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Go for the A+ - I recommend using self-study methods rather than taking a course.

The MCSE is great... but definitely something you should save for later in your career, after you've built some experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Robin4265

Robin4265 New Member

Big thanks to all for your advice.