Problem Question on AD migration

Discussion in 'Networks' started by skulkerboyo, Jul 7, 2011.

1. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Not often I ask a question here. I think I know the answer already but want to run it past people first.

The company I'm helping out is migrating its server environment from physical to virtual to move it geographically.

We're at the testing stage and I'm looking at the regular infrastructure stuff (they host and have over 100 servers for that job-the user environment seems like an afterthough once you see what they have!!).

So I've set up a server with AD installed and need to start adding test boxes to it. The eventual plan being to import our current structure into it using a tool.

We don't use Microsoft DNS though. I've pointed the single server that holds AD and acts as a file server at our DNS server and plan to manually create the SRV records on the DNS server. All clients will get their IP setup from a linux DHCP server

The original setup was on a public IP but as this is all virtual and hosted it will be private IPs. I don't see a problem. This is just a sanity check more than anything.

Does this sound sane! I'm so used to MS DNS. It shouldn't matter as long as the DNS server has the proper SRVs and the clients get their DNS from the DHCP server.

Tell me off if I'm being a worrier

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is there a reason for this?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

This is a company that has hosted its own sites for a long time. When they started MS DNS wasn't the beast it is today. They went with BIND.

That aside, the only MS boxes are here to make the staffs' life easier. The I.T. dept is huge and user administration is a very very small part of the setup here. It would be a huge business decision to move to MS DNS

This is the least MS house I've been in. Mail is domino as well. They just use active directory!

Anyway, the AD is up but the DNS server admin is having trouble creating the srv records so the clients can't bloody see it at the moment. I've given him the netlogon.dns file from the server. We'll see what happens.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417