1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proxy ARP, request and reply

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by george_gp, Jun 30, 2009.

1. george_gp

george_gp New Member

Hello all,

I will procced directly to my questions/concerns, any help will be approciated a lot.

I want to simulate in my LAN a Proxy ARP request and reply using wireshark and capture packets for real time analysis.

What I want is to set up a network in order to have such a situation. From what I have understand, I need to create two subnetworks. lets say that Host A is located at the first subnetwork and has subnet mask 255.255.0.0. On the other side we have Host B with subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

Now, In order to have a proxy ARP request, Host A must think that Host B is connected directly to its network.

Therefore it will broadcast an ARP packet. Since the router cannot broadcast any ARP packets it will reply to Host A with its own MAC address. This is whan I want to see in the wireshark protocol analyser.

What is the best way to configure my network? Currently I have a LinkSys Wag 200 as the main router ( I have also a Netgear in case we need it).

Thank you in advance for your answers.