Progressing from Small Business IT Support

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by simonmanchester, Feb 28, 2012.

1. simonmanchester

simonmanchester New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and found the forum when searching for information on Career Advice for IT Pros. I've been working for small IT companies for the past 7 years, and feel like i'm not progressing. I'm the field based guy at my company, so i get to do a lot of mixed level stuff (from installing printers, all the way up to server migrations), but can't seem to find the best way of moving onto a more focused path in my career (and ultimately, more money).

I've studied IT at A Level, HND and professionally including...
    • BTEC Higher National Diploma in Computing
    • Microsoft Certified Professional (070-290) Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment
    • Level 3 NVQ Diploma in IT Project Management
    • Microsoft Certified IT Professional (70-653) TS: Windows Small Business Server 2008, Configuring

I'm currently studying the 70-642 exam as my employer need this to regain their Gold Certified Partner status with MS. With all this in mind, even now though, im only on 19k and my employer is using the "its a recession" card whenever i mention pay :dry

I'm feeling a little stuck in a rut, not progressing in anyway, with no path to follow. Any tips on what i need to do to progress with my Career, possibly moving up to network/server support, or infrastructure management?

Thank you for looking.

Simon

2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Hi Simon,

Welcome to the forums.

My advice, apply for a new job 8) You've got 7 years experience and while you're not certified - I'm sure you could use your experience as a way to get a better position.

If you went for a job which you've already been doing, no doubt you'll get an even greater salary. Depending where you are located, you 'should' still find junior roles offering the same'ish salary.

Want to go the Networking route? Decide on the vendor and start studying/gaining experience. You'd probably have to join as a junior (you don't mention any major networking experience)

Perhaps Microsoft/Server support is more your choice. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_IGM0FlQXyB8/TDWaZoLiNeI/AAAAAAAAAE4/raekoTXkGsI/s1600/ICT.png should give you a clear map to plan your career.

Hope it helps. Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
    Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

As said just start applying for jobs!