Problem in XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Johnd76, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

A guy at work asked me for some advice about a problem he is having.....he is running Windows XP (dont know what version) he said a pop up came up saying he had a virus so he clicked it and it asked him to buy something, he then just cancelled it.

after he did this he said his daughter messed about abit (bad idea), now he only has the sound icon in the notification area and he cant use any programs except internet explorer (has no problems surfing the net).

he tried going into control panel but it came up saying he doesnt have permission to do anything in there, I suggested he try and go in through the built in admin account but he thinks thats what he is using!! If he is using that account, is there anything he can do?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have a few suggestions he could try:

1. do a full virus scan
    2. use ccleaner get rid of any temp files
    3. use MSCONFIG to make sure everything is on normal and its not on selective startup or anything like that.
    4. setup new user (admin) account incase the one he is using is corrupt and try what you already suggested
    5 worse case scenario a repair install.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Sounds like it has been infected by 'scareware'.

I had a laptop last night with scareware 'Security Tools' on it.

A couple of things to try:-

1.Boot into safe mode and install Malwarebytes AntiSpyware and run a scan.

2.Boot into safe mode and run system restore , restoring to a time prior to the infection.

Number 2 is what worked in my case.

HTH

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hate these virus'es

1. Try system restore. (Normally it deletes restore points but this would be the best obvious first choice)
    2. Safe mode. (See if the virus can still initiate in safe mode. If not you can make changes here)
    3. Task manager. (IF two doesnt work) End all unusual task processes and try again making changes.
    4. Download Spybot + Avg (If you cannot install you will need to reformat) If you can do a system scan and immunize when all browsers are closed
    4.1 Deny access to many startup programs (As one may be the virus)
    5. Check to see if Virus is still there after restart
    6. Restart pc run scans on startup option
    7. Should be sorted. Hope this helps. This is normally the action I take.

Dave

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
    Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade