Privacy of our computer on the Internet?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by kobem, Jul 11, 2009.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Hey im back as you see. And brought out some unusual questions with me. Please take care
    of these.

As everyone, i am a client who is connected to Internet and mostly web servers. Nevertheless, i am curious
    about someting named privacy. Can we really become invisible on the Internet somehow?

2- While implementing NAT, we match private IP addresses with public ones. But, on this occasion, can't we
    protect our inside network from the outside? I could think like that until i heard web servers record
    information of all computers linked to it. If they save all things about us, NAT is not able to
    protect us that time.

3- Imagine same thing for proxies. As far as i know, proxy servers behave an intermediate device among our computer
    and web servers that use their IP addresses and make visible to web servers. However, same problem appears here
    too. (web servers keep logs about us)

4- This time forget about NAT,proxies. Everytime we connect to web servers by transmitting IP packets. In these
    packets there is IP header which bears control and address information. So that, even without applying
    NAT or proxies, can't we reveal ourselves with the information in IP packets?

Certifications: CCNA
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Privacy is closing the door when you go for a dump.

It has nothing to do with the Internet.

You've heard of Bots and Spiders and Pixies, right?
    Nothing is safe from the likes of Google and his bookshelf.

I'm interested too in all things that are open.
    Well done!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

:blink if you have a decent firewall then your computers ports can become invisible to attempts at hacking BUT that doesn't mean you are safe, there is always away around if someone or something is trying hard enough.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Theres things like Tor and then there are anonymizer proxies and also you can simply block domains and addresses simply using hostfile or a port blocker.

You can also clean out your cookies either manually or with tools.

You can be fairly anonymous if prepared to work hard enough at it.

5. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

i used Tor a while ago. At that moment , can't web servers grab our info with logs?

6. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

how about "our information" included IP packets? do these expose us, don't they?

7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

They will normally at least have your IP yes, but something like Tor will bounce you all over the place. It might even spoof IP, i've not gone into it that deeply. Its supposed to be anonymous so it must do something like that. It might just be the proxy nature that means your IP does not get forwarded.

8. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

^^ This

Tor is the best thing for anonymous browsing.. It will connect to usually at least 5-10 different nodes before reaching the web address..
    If you use ProxyCap (i think it's called, not used it in aaages) it will hook any windows app to connect through tor aswell... i used it quite frequently to evade bans in places like ventrilo, game servers etc (sometimes it was fun to harrass :P- (pfft, i was a child!))

In terms of web logs, they record the browser, time and date of the request along with the IP... nothing more really.

If you wiki TOR and look at its packet analyser/modifier you will understand what tor does with your packet headers, allowing you to be anonymous

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Really? Care to explain how routing your traffic through proxies controlled by other people is, in any conceivable way, by any possible definition, 'anonymous'?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

ok spoofed source browsing then
    by the clue of the destination not knowing the actual source

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, but the proxy will know who you are. There is no escape! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Any time - ANY time - you route your traffic through someone else's servers you have zero control over who's watching it. I seem to recall some extremely interesting research done a couple of years back by Andrew Christensen which proved that TOR was about as secure as sending stuff through the mail...

TOR is still a decent bet for people casually surfing who want to discourage the idle nosy bastard from a bit of underhanded peeking - but its useless at really protecting you. For instance, anyone sniffing at a TOR exit node will be able to grab anything they like out of the exit stream. It may not bother you that someone operating a box that - technically speaking - could be in the Ukraine, Lithuania, Malaysia or (insert country well-known for nefarious internet activity here) could grab - for instance - your mail usernames & passwords, but it would bother me.

13. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Obviously.

I never said it was secure, and I would hope that people refrain from using any kind of proxy service or 'free internet hotspot' with private/important data. I've set up a open wireless hotspot in manchester before now bridging it to a 3G internet connection whilst running a packet sniffer. Quite intriguing...

Thing is though, like I said.. it's the best way for your location to be hidden from the destination on the internet. Unless of course you have a few bots in your arsenal with a proxy service running.. that would obviously be better as the victim shouldn't know of this service.. but seeing as though it's illegal :rolleyes: Tor is the best way to go.

14. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ooooooh - anyone else think me and Dazza should get together and go bowling? :twisted:

I did this a couple of years back as a POC to my management team (used to work for the old bill). They fell off their chair when they saw five people connect to my AP called (cunningly) FreeWiFi within the space of 45 minutes... then freaked out more when they saw that one of those connecting was a copper...

There also used to be a pretty much constant promiscuous twin attack going on on the wifi at the Starbucks in Golden Square (West End) until they shut the branch down last winter - I used to connect my lappy up every once in a while and watch it happen for s**ts & giggles :)

Never underestimate the stupidity and greed of the average Homo Sapiens.

15. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

haha lets do it.. i would warn you though, they call me the ten pin king! :biggrin:twisted:
    ..or did you mean garden bowls :biggrin
    Haha same happens at mcdonalds close by.. This person also attempts to mimic the Mcdonalds freewifi authentication to make users think it is the real deal! They copied the style of the mcdonalds release code webpage (u need to ask for this code when purchasing a meal to be able to swap to its normal DNS otherwise all http requests get redirected) but obviously mr spoofer's was a one-time initial redirect and the webpage form allowed any code whatsoever to be submitted, then the browser redirected to mcdonalds.co.uk.. made me chuckle at the lengths people will go to:D

16. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hmm, someone who has been banned from several forums asking advice on proxy anonymisers and such like. Purely for research you understand. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  17. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

edit: haha.. ohh- i didnt know his history

18. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Kobem:d

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  19. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

To be fair, I don't think he's been banned because people were worrying he was going to use the knowledge they might have given him to hack someone. I think its more because dealing with him makes you want to poke your own eyes out with 4H pencils in frustration.

20. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

ROFL @ 4H
    I kinda got that impression but i only thought it was on the HB level :biggrin